Author Topic: vacation, what a week!  (Read 907 times)

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
vacation, what a week!
« on: September 24, 2011, 11:58:29 pm »
My wife & I took this week off from work.  I'll go back to work on monday so I can rest up!  My shop is an old detached garage built around 1940.  Inside dimensions are only 10'7" by 17'.  I have it stuffed with far too many large tools including a unisaw with side table, bandsaw, radial arm saw, Hawk scrollsaw, 15 inch powermatic planer, stationery sander, 16-32 drum sander, drill press, lathe, air compressor, and more power handtools than I can recall.  Classic case of 10 lbs of mud in a 5 lb bag.  The floor was originally concrete, but has buckled and caved in areas.  In order to use these tools, almost all are on mobile bases, but that doesn't work too well on a cracked up floor.  This week I laid out a floating 2x6 frame on 12" centers (flatside down) and topped it with a 3/4 t&g plywood floor.  Next I tore out the old lumber storage racks, which were way too low, hung new ceiling joists, insulated to R-30 and put in a drywall ceiling.  Then I added new lumber storage racks at a proper height.  Some friends came over last saturday to help me haul the tools out and put them on my deck, and the same guys returned today to help me put them back in place.  What a difference!  Now as time goes by I intend to insulate the walls and sheetrock them as well.  My old windowbanger a/c is acutally almost sufficient now.  When the walls are done it may be more than adequate. I am happy but bushed.  Thank God I was able to hire a teenage neighbor to help with the muscle work.  He said he learned more in a few days working with me than all year in a shop class building a chicken coop!  Good Kid.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:00:55 am by BilltheDiver »
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

HWPlmbr1

Re: vacation, what a week!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 01:04:04 am »
I've had those vacations!

Always good when someone can help and appreciates what they learn. Maybe he will come over more and you can gain an apprentice!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 04:49:22 am »
Bill I'm tired just from reading about it! Must feel good though. Now you have to get some sawdust on that new floor.  ;D ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 05:17:13 am »
Been there, done that. It is a shame though to use vacation days to get things done around the house/shop, but sometimes that is the only way to get it done.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:50:53 am »
Best to 'waste' the vacation days and "git 'er done" and now it is workable and the rest can be done piecemeal.

Been there and done that also...and it sure feels good when done!

ENJOY your 'new' shop!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 02:21:33 pm »
Great job.  Good for you on reclaiming your old shop.  Only thing missing are pics of the new shop.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 03:30:26 pm »
sounds like a worthwile vacation Bill!
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 07:08:00 pm »
NICE! A good wood shop is always a good investment.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 06:57:33 am »
I like that " working"  vacations

great, when are the pictures available?
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi