Author Topic: pc question regarding the forum  (Read 1787 times)

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
pc question regarding the forum
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:41:41 am »
I have this forum marked as a favorite on at least 3 computers.  My main pc died this weekend, and I replaced it.  Great machine, but for some reason when I click on "show unread posts since last visit",  I see zero posts, even though when I go to the home page there are boards with unread topics.  This is the only pc that does that even though they are all using the same login info and the same browser.  The only obvious difference is that the others run on xp and this one is on windows 7.  I can live with it, but I can't figure it out.  Any ideas? :-\
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: pc question regarding the forum
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 01:54:06 am »
What happens is that each time you log on the 'server' it leaves a small file on your computer called a 'cookie'.
When you replaced your computer all your 'cookies' went with the old one so the server or site doesn't recognize you anymore.

In setting up your 'browser' on the new machine you have to tell the browser to 'accept cookies' so it will perform like the old one after it gets its share of 'cookies' in its files.

So actually the problem is on your end because of the new computer.
You also lost all your saved login data files so you will have to reconstruct them as you go along.
These are the files left on your computer when you log in somewhere and under the login info is that little box that says something like,"Remember me on this computer" and you check the box and the server leaves you a 'cookie'.

Clear?????

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 07:38:22 am »
Good info there GB.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:19:24 am »
GrayBeard...Wow! so good looking and SMART too! ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:41:08 am »
I am a self taught 'geek' going back to the days when DOS was the only thing we had and have followed along ever since.
Being naturally curious I have to 'try' things and see how they work and that often leads to catastrophic results and then I have to find my way out.
ASK, Read, Try and keep at it until you get it right.

One of the the things I am working on right now is to set up a series of Basic Computer Skills courses at our Senior Center to get more seniors involved in computers. Their basic fear is that they will "break it" and I start by showing them that you can press keys and click the mouse all you want and then just shut the thing down and it starts over all fresh and ready to go.

My biggest problem according to close friends I have helped is that I tend to 'do it' for them and I am learning to be much more patient.
My 'guru', the one I go to for answers to problems refers to me as a Power User which he claims is a step below being a full fledged 'geek'. I have to see what things do and how they work to be satisfied.

"Handsome" that is a matter of perception.

But thanks for the compliments!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

northie66

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 06:50:45 pm »
GB, I'm a DOS dork myself.  But I have a hard time explaining things to people without pictures.  You are very good at that!

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 07:34:18 pm »
Good info, and I am an old hand at DOS as well.  Funny thing is, I came home tonight and it had self corrected without any input from me.  At least now, It ain't broke, so I won't fix it!

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 08:20:50 pm »
Your rite there GB I thought you had had a hair cut after Judy's comment, had to look again
Jimbo

Becky

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 10:31:11 pm »
The only thing I would add (good job, Graybeard!) is to set the new computer to let you decide what cookies to accept.  Some cookies aren't nice.  If it's a site you trust like here, you can tell it to always accept them but when you are out doing other things like browsing font sites, you can tell it to block the cookies.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 11:15:47 pm »
Good thought Becky...I just didn't want to give too much information in one dose and chance 'overload'.

All your incoming information can be 'controlled' if you take the time to really look into the "Options" and "Preferences".

Also the AVG antivirus comes complete with email scanning capability so you are safer there also.

~~~GB~~~

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 11:26:43 pm »
I use AVG free edition as well as Malwarebytes.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 06:22:07 am »
I only used Mcafee security center, it comes "free" with my provider account.

I'm always a bit careful using  freeware or opensource software, I'm a bit suspicious, what's the benefit for giving something for free.
a lot of reeware if full of trojans and hoaxes.

so I trust you guy's and because of that I installed malwarebytes.
looks good to mee so far, it found some problems, so it must be working 8)

Marcel
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 09:23:24 am »
Marcel...you have to know where to get your 'free' software and I have been doing this kind of thing since the early days and would NEVER knowingly steer someone to a site I did not completely trust and use myself.
I have two 'professional' computer geeks as friends and anything I am not absolutely sure about I run by them for their opinion.

They both work mainly with Linux systems in large corporations and are familiar with the "Open Source" software that normally comes Free.
Being true 'geeks' they also must be very well trained on all the Windows programs also in order to assist their clients.
I have one computer that I run UBUNTU on just to keep a hand in the open source field but since virtually everyone else runs Windows I do also. The Open Source world has many advantages but the Operating Systems are a bit complicated even for people like myself. Since Open Source is such a small part of the computing world the the 'hackers' and general bad guys have not concentrated on it nearly as much so it is more free of all the bad stuff hackers put out to trap Windows users.

~~~GB~~~

northie66

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 07:01:21 pm »
GB is now my "computer go to guy".    ;D

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 01:16:52 am »
Happy to assist if I can, Janet.

Post, IM or email and I will respond.

~~~GB~~~

SMF

Teknoromi