Author Topic: General Interest Question.....  (Read 3480 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
General Interest Question.....
« on: May 16, 2010, 10:41:03 am »
Steve, what BROWSER do you use and do you recommend any particular one over the others?

I personally avoid IE at all costs due to previous experiences. FireFox has been my browser of choice since it was first introduced but I am gradually being won over to Google's CHROME!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: General Interest Question.....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:23:20 pm »
I'm with you GrayBeard. I have used Firefox from the beginning. IE is totally out of the question for me but I will say that IE 8 is a big improvement. Chrome is rapidly catching up with Firefox. The speed of Chrome is great. Firefox is starting to get a little bloated. I have so many firefox extensions I just cant make the switch yet.

daneklund

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:30:08 pm »
I use all three of the browsers plus sometimes even Safari being I have a Mac in the office.  I have had some problems with a couple websites not displaying properly with Firefox, so I keep the new IE available for those sites. 

Joesawdust

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:49:26 pm »
Iwas a faithful firefox user, but lately it will not work with gmail, and I have had no luck fixing it so I'm using chrome and happy with it.

Greg

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:44:32 pm »
Google's CHROME is coming up with 'extensions' day by day!
I've been running them side by side and FireFox is not so gradually slipping behind.

Apparently I visit the right websites because I don't think I have had a site not function properly in FireFox or Chrome since I have been using them (other than Microsoft.com for downloads and updates.)
And the 'updates from Mickeysoft are the ONLY reason I keep IE on my machines at all! Have not tried using the 'addon' that emulates IE for the updates so I don't know if that would work.

I firmly believe in FREE software!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:45:44 pm »
Yep had Firefox for a couple years and thought it was the bees knees, son mention some thing about Chrome and a couple other browser I don't remember the name of.
But the name Chrome stuck so was surfing one day fell over chrome downloaded it and never looked back.
Go the Chrome and all freeware.

Merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Rightarm

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 12:34:51 am »
    Bing for me. Dave

Offline loftyhermes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 08:31:04 am »
Firefox for me.
Outside a dog a scrollsaw is a mans best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to cut.

dankc908

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 09:35:03 am »
I tried Chrome this past week and went back to Firefox.  Chrome had some 'issues' with a couple of websites I visit regularly and I don't like the way it does 'tabs' compared to Firefox.  I'll stay there!

Dan

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
Re: General Interest Question.....RE: Google Chrome....
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 04:57:09 pm »
I have been surfing the 'net' since the days of the old "BBS's" and have used Firefox since day one. Now a recent convert to "Chrome".

I don't think in all that time I have had more than one or two websites that refused to display properly in either FF or Chrome. Do I not visit the 'complicated' sites or have I just been lucky?

The ONLY time I fire up IE7 is when i have to do a direct D/L from the Microsoft sites!

I have tried a few free email sites that had issues with FF or Chrome so I just abandoned them.

~~~GrayBeard~~~

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 08:41:44 pm »
I have never had a problem with Internet Explorer. Been using the various forms since Windows 95. Use IE8 right now.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

cherie

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 02:31:11 pm »
I guess I am afraid of change.  Have  always used Firefox since I started college and still do.  It was something they recommended.  So I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

daneklund

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 07:29:19 pm »
This old dog learned some new tricks.  Use four different browsers now for various sites.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 07:36:24 pm »
Well I am a 'semi-geek' so I have to keep up and aware of what is around so I can answer all the questions thrown at me.

Running Chrome as primary, FireFox as secondary and touch on several others as time permits.

Chrome is getting better and more full featured every day.

~~~GrayBeard~~~

cherie

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 09:04:32 pm »
As much as I dislike IE I might have to try Chrome, just to see what happens.

SMF

Teknoromi