Author Topic: DeWalt DW788 Scroll Saw Mobile Base/Wheels??  (Read 11195 times)

ReefDiver

DeWalt DW788 Scroll Saw Mobile Base/Wheels??
« on: June 17, 2010, 11:11:24 pm »

Hi Steve: I just put together the stand for my new DW788 scroll saw unit. Do you (or anyone here) know where I can purchase a mobile base (wheels) for this unit? Would it be better to just try to pick up some individual wheels with locking mechanisms & install them myself? Not sure how to proceed here because I want the unit to be stable while scrolling & perhaps wheels would not be a good addition? What's your take on this? Thanks for any responses......................Steve

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: DeWalt DW788 Scroll Saw Mobile Base/Wheels??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:50:06 pm »
Steve, I would not recommend installing casters on the DeWalt stand. The stand will be unstable and it will raise the saw to high to work comfortable, for me at least.
The Woodcraft store that I teach at installed casters on the DeWalt saw that I use for demonstrations and I hate it!
If you want to make it Mobil, I would check out Amazon. They have an HTC Mobil base made for the DeWalt saw. It is expensive, but it will keep the base on the ground.
Dan In Southern California

ReefDiver

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 11:59:24 pm »

Thanks DG that's just what I needed to know.........I will check out that HTC mobil base on Amazon....

Steve

ReefDiver

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 12:04:55 am »

Is this the Base that you were talking about? http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HTC2000-Universal-Mobile-Base/dp/B00002262M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1276833648&sr=8-3

If so, it does not appear that it would fit the Triangular base that the saw sits on as it is a square base. However, I don't know how things attach to that base so perhaps I am wrong? Thanks, Steve

ReefDiver

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 09:05:14 am »

THANKS! That's exactly what I was looking for! I just ordered it, along with a bunch of scroll saw/Intarsia books!!................

Steve

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 09:48:38 am »
Hey there ReefDiver...

Keep us posted on the arrival, assembly and use of this stand...

Others may be interested!

Interesting that it only raises the table about 7/8ths of an inch!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ReefDiver

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 09:58:54 am »

Hi Gary: Will do..............

Steve

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 06:51:41 pm »
Hi ReefDiver, I am in agreement with dgman. I would not install the stand on casters. The stand is already high and the additional instability would be a problem in my opinion.

ReefDiver

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 10:10:08 pm »

UPDATE! I received the mobile base unit today. Took 15 min to attach the wheels to the base. Lifted the scroll saw/base onto the unit & it works perfectly for my needs. Some of us really need to be able to move the saw around & this seems like a good solution. Locking the front two wheels in place does not allow the unit to move whatsoever & I was able to use the saw without any problem. Oh, & it did only lift the saw 7/8" off the ground which is no big deal. The only thing that I am going to do & would suggest to others is to order a second "Floor Lock Kit" (FLK) to use on the other side of the base. This is because when you only use the one that is located on one side there is some wobble to the unit when you lock it down. That's why I only locked the two front wheels when I used the saw. With the additional FLK located on the other side you can lock both of them down in order to elevate the central larger wheel off of the floor. This way the triangular base will be very stable as it will be supported on both sides. I hope that I am making some sense here? I think that with the square type bases this would not present the same problem using only one FLK mechanism. If one also wanted to they could drill holes through the mobile base in order to bolt down the saw base. This would really stabilize the unit onto the base & I may wind up doing that; although, it's working fine for me the way it is. Anyway, if one needs the saw to be able to be moved around, you can't go wrong with this mobile base.

Steve

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:25:24 pm »
Steve, I'm glad it worked out for you! Thanks  for the update.
Dan In Southern California

ReefDiver

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 10:33:45 pm »

You're very welcome & thank you for recommending the unit!!

Steve

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 11:38:06 am »
I am going to monitor your progress with this adaptation. My situation is similar in that I must be able to move my tools around and lifting/dragging the DeWalt gets pretty old very quickly!

So don't be surprised if I shoot you a message on occasion asking how it is working for you!

Thanks for the initial report!

GrayBeard
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ReefDiver

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 12:48:09 pm »

No problem Gary. More that obliged to give you my input on this. On a positive note, I contacted HTC about the problem with having only one foot lock mechanism on their unit & they are sending me another lock gratis as part of the "warranty". Thus far, I am inpressed with the company. I'll let you guys know how the additional lock works out. Oh, and they did recommend bolting the scroll saw base to the mobile base, which I am planning to do shortly..............

Steve

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 12:56:27 pm »
Do you have your 'rear stand leg' extended at all so the table slants forward or is it the 'flat' configuration?

SMF

Teknoromi