Author Topic: A question for ALL members, not just those who post. I have an idea...  (Read 6355 times)

Charlie Dearing

Steve will also need to approve this idea.  Some of you may have heard about the two police officers killed in the line of duty in West Memphis.  There is one idea and work in progress from Steve to generate funds for the families of the two officers.
MY question (and whether or not you're ok with the idea) to all of you is this:
Would you pay $2 (or whatever currency your location uses) to have a chance to win ANY 30 of my patterns?  Let's call it a raffle.  I know in theory, to outright ask for money is easier said than done so that's why I am posting this.  PLEASE speak up...EVEN IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE IDEA.  The drawing would be on Friday, June 5.  That is just one week away.  I don't have the technology or knowledge to make a button on a website, how to prove the raffle drawing is fair, etc.  All I can hope is that you will all trust me to be ethical about this.  I will NOT volunteer Steve to make a button on his blog, announce this idea or anything else.  If he wants to merge in with my idea, then of course I applaud it.  I am not asking you to pay $2 for 30 patterns that I, myself, choose.  These would be 30 patterns YOU would choose.  
Since the idea to have this raffle came from hearing about the officer's deaths, then of course a percentage of the raffle earnings will be donated to the families of the two officers.  
Unfortunately since I have no way to make a simple button to push, I ask that you go to http://paypal.com and follow it's directions to "make a payment".  When it asks for the recipient's email address, it is artistic_cowboy30@yahoo.com    Your payment would be your entry and that list of entries is what I would choose from.
I don't recall the gentleman's last name but the proceeds going to the families would be sent to Jim to give to the families.
Even if you have never posted before, PLEASE give me feedback on whether or not you would be willing to do this and if it's worth it for a chance at 30 patterns.
As far as where to see the patterns... go to http://charlesdearing.com/patterns/index.html and look in the left column for the buttons/themes to see what you have to choose from.  These individual patterns are the same ones that are in the downloadable pattern books so you don't have to try to guess what's in them.I also have the patterns shown in this forum to choose from.  No limitations except for the amount of 30 patterns.  $2 for 30 patterns that would be $210 if you bought them all individually?  Has to be a good idea right?  
Please know my intentions are good here and this is not a scheme to spam. This is the only way that I can help the families and I think it would help alot.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 03:42:52 am by Charlie Dearing »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Hey Charlie, if approved by Steve, yes I will gladly participate.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
ME TOO
I'm from North Dakota

Dragonlord85

So would I. We just had an officer killed here in Phoenix last week. he left a wife, 2 year old daughter, and 2 week old son.

Kevin

chief

Not to steal your thunder here Charlie.  I saw a groupd of people that are doing portraits of fallen soldiers.  How about some people do portraits of the fallen officers for the families as well?

cherie

I will do what I can.

Charlie Dearing

I thought of the portraits of the two officers as well, but i'm pretty sure thousands of the same two portraits could be overwhelming lol.  First, I'd need to locate good photos of them.
Thanks for the feedback folks.  Remember, even if you have never posted on this forum before, your opinion matters so speak up!

Dawie

Great idea Charlie. If you get the go ahead I too will join in.
David

KENINLEX

GO FOR IT YOU CAN COUNT ON THIS GROUP

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
I'm definitely in!

That's the kind of folks represented here! Charlie is bucking tough times and is busy thinking of others!

Proud of you Cowboy! (and working on your 'puter problem as quick as I can)

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

kennybruzda

Count me in too, great ides.

Kenny

Offline termite

• View Profile
COUNT ME IN

Charlie Dearing

Ok, we've gotten some interest..10 responses, 82 views.  Anyone else?
Also, I want to clarify...When I say I need Steve's permission, it was permission for me to do this on the board. Meaning, if this upsets him, he can delete this thread.   We can still do the idea ourselves, the permission was for me announcing it here.  Like I said, I can't volunteer him for  making a button/link, doing the drawing or anything else. 
In other words, if ya like the idea, send in your entry ;)
(instructions for that are in the first message of this topic).  Hopefully we will get more feedback on this.  If anyone out there is opposed to this, please speak up, you're entitled to your opinion. 

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Hi Charlie, wonderful idea. It's actually not legal to do a raffle on a website so I can't directly participate from the blog but I more than support the effort. I'm not sure how you can advertise the effort except from the community forum but anything you can do here is fine with me.

Charlie Dearing

Thanks Steve.  I was relatively sure you'd be ok with the idea, but I don't like to assume.  I appreciate your approval.  Ok folks, the door is open lol.  I am hoping the Memorial Day weekend is the only reason for lack of response, but I am biased. ;)

SMF

Teknoromi