Author Topic: Lighthouse finally finished  (Read 2185 times)

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
Lighthouse finally finished
« on: June 14, 2012, 10:57:50 pm »
This project has taken some time. I drew the pattern myself using a simple program paint. Then selected all my woods (thanks to the help of many of you for great advice). After some cutting and sometimes re-cutting I managed to get the pieces fitting pretty close. Finally all glued and sanded. All I need now is to put the backing on and a wire to hang it. This is my first attempt at intarsia. Looking forward to my next project (probably something a bit simpler in size and design. Thanks again to all my friends here who helped me figure this out.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 06:57:07 pm by mrtcurtis »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Lighthouse Step 2
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 11:14:57 pm »
That's an ambitious project for a beginner with only a few projects under your belt! Looking good so far.
As far as your pattern not sticking to the Zebrawood, I have not had that problem before so I don't know what the problem is. It typically is not an oily wood. Maybe use a little more spray glue and apply a layer of clear packing tape over the pattern. The tape will help hold the pattern on and will help prevent burn marks and the blade will cut easier and last longer.
Dan In Southern California

Offline troy_curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 02:46:59 am »
Good suggestion for using packing tape. I sprayed the heck out of the pattern...and it didnt stick at all. Well the packing tape will solve it...and make blades last longer ..woot!  :D

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 03:44:41 am »
Looking really nice so far, the Zebra wood is really effective for the cliffs.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:04:04 am »
Good suggestion for using packing tape. I sprayed the heck out of the pattern...and it didnt stick at all. Well the packing tape will solve it...and make blades last longer ..woot!  :D
One other tip on using the spray adhesive, after spraying, let it sit for about 30 seconds to let it set up. You want it to feel like masking tape. Then apply the pattern to the wood.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 01:59:59 pm »
I give you a lot of credit for jumping in with both feet, making this particular pattern your first attempt at taking on an Intarsia project.
I hope it turns out a success, showing that it not as hard as everyone thinks and maybe it will inspire more people to their hand try it,
I've never used a spray adhesive so I can't offer any advice in it's use, but I've never found Zebra wood to be oily. Scotch tape sticks to it with no problem.

What you have done, so far, is looking good, keep us updated.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline troy_curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 05:43:45 pm »
I give you a lot of credit for jumping in with both feet, making this particular pattern your first attempt at taking on an Intarsia project.
I hope it turns out a success, showing that it not as hard as everyone thinks and maybe it will inspire more people to their hand try it,
I've never used a spray adhesive so I can't offer any advice in it's use, but I've never found Zebra wood to be oily. Scotch tape sticks to it with no problem.

What you have done, so far, is looking good, keep us updated.

;D I hope you are right. I know it is a big project, but I figure all it will cost if I fail is time and some money. The time is fun and a learning experience. The money....well all I can say about that is I hope I have more successes than failures. My mother in law loves lighthouses so I drew this one up and thought I'd jump in and see what happens. So far I am pretty happy with what I have done.

SMF

Teknoromi