Author Topic: Greetings from Arizona  (Read 2567 times)

Unknotted

Greetings from Arizona
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:19:17 am »
Hiya!  My name is Brenda and I am from sunny Arizona, where I've been freezing my buns off all winter.  I am new to scrolling but have experience in lots of other crafting and woodworking techniques.

I've wanted a scrollsaw for ages, but being the thrifty person (tightwad) that I am I always look at them but never buy one.  So, a few days before Christmas my hubby said he was buying me something from a guy who he needed to met in the parking lot at Walmart.  Sounded odd to me, but OK, I told him to drop me off at the front of the store and then he could go meet his seller.  

As we pulled into the parking lot I saw a truck with a cage full of puppies to give away (ugly ones at that.)  My first words were..."you're getting me a puppy?"  He laughed, dropped me off at the front of the store and went to make his purchase.  After we met back up in Walmart he told me he had put "it" in the trunk of the car.  I breathed a sigh of relief, pretty sure it wasn't another dog (we love dogs but don't need another one.)

Soooo...guess what I got for Christmas!  A used, but beautiful (in my eyes) scrollsaw....no manual, no warrantee, no nothing...but I love it just the same.  I played around with a few scraps  of wood  and now I'm ready to go buy a few things that you good people have steered me toward...tape, spray adhesive, etc.

Yes, I am new to scrolling, but my heart is already in it.  I'm afraid you'll probably get sick of hearing from me though.  Still, it's good to know you'll be here to help me when I flub things up.

Oh, and my username...Unknotted...that comes from me being a retired massage therapist.  I firmly believe in keeping myself unknotted and recommend massage as a first line of defense against stress.  

Brenda
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:21:16 am by Unknotted »

tux_linux

Re: Greetings from Arizona
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:32:09 am »
Welcome Brenda!

You have a great husband, isn't he?
But to be honest: He just made sure he can watch TV alone in the evenings. You'll be in the wood shop ;D

Torsten from Munich, Germany

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 10:33:56 am »
Glad you found us Brenda. Hi I'm Russ from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum. A day without saw dust is like a day without sunshine.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 10:38:19 am »
Hey Brenda,  You will love the sawdust. Welcome.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 10:41:58 am »
Hi Brenda, greetings from Cornwall in the U.K.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 10:44:04 am »
Hi Brenda and welcome, Pete from scotland !
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 11:14:19 am »
Hey Brenda, I'm Dan from Southern California. Welcome to the forum! Come on in and join the fun! Tell us, what kind of saw did you get?
Dan In Southern California

zgrimsley

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 01:45:28 pm »
Hi Brenda, I'm Zachary from Texas

Unknotted

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 04:55:08 pm »
Hey Brenda, I'm Dan from Southern California. Welcome to the forum! Come on in and join the fun! Tell us, what kind of saw did you get?

It's a Delta 40-530.  It doesn't look very new, but seems to run well, for a beginner.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes.

rob roy

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:52:25 pm »
Hi Brenda, I'm from Scotland. Welcome to the big happy family. Pull up a chair and join in the fun. We can be serious at times too!!lol
Rob Roy.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 07:41:29 pm »
welcome aboard Brenda i'm Todd from Newfoundland Canada

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 10:43:36 pm »
Hey another newbie..... super! If I'm not making dust, I'm plunking on the pc here at scrollsaw workshop. I recently snagged that great buy at woodcraft... the delta 40-690..b4 the purchase I nosed around for a product manual... I ran into this one along the way.... be aware there are 2 models...HAVE FUN and see ya round the table.

http://servicenet.deltaportercable.com/Products/Detail?isId=true&productNumber=40-530&selectedType=9859#
GO PACK GO

ChuckD

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 10:50:16 pm »
Welcome Brenda,  I think there are others from your neck of the woods.  The end of January I am heading down to Mesa for a couple of months.  Looking forward to the warmer weather and the dancing.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 11:08:44 pm »
Hey Brenda you must be from the high country. I lived most of my life in Prescott and environs. Where be you? If you take the time you can eventually find most of the manuals on line free downloads.
Hey chuck I grew up in Tempe wave howdy to everyone for me as you pass through.
Out here now in slightly WET S. Oregon.

LOL
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 12:30:20 am »
Hi Brenda, welcome to the forum, I'm Marg from Australia.  I should also say welcome to your new addiction.  :D :D

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

SMF

Teknoromi