Author Topic: Tool Shop Scroll Saw  (Read 7902 times)

joshindy

Tool Shop Scroll Saw
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:46:28 pm »
Ok...so i have only used a scroll saw a handful of times and decided it was time to buy one. I have made several projects with the band saw and decided i wanted something to do a little more detail work.

I picked one up on craigslist for $10. It works and it seems to do ok with the pinned blades i bought at the blue box store. It makes a pinging noise when i put tension on the blade....is this normal?

The guy i got it from said he bought it at harbor freight for $60 -$70 a few years back.

Has anyone else use a 'Tool Shop' brand saw?
Are they worth their weight in steel?

Any idea if there is a way to convert this to take the non-pinned blades or if it would even be worth it?

Thanks in advance for the rousing discussion!
-josh

carlton4143

Re: Tool Shop Scroll Saw
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 11:07:28 pm »
You got yourself a play toy not a scroll saw. Play with it for a while then buy a better saw(not a craftsman). If you can't afford a dewalt the go to lowes or HD and buy a medium price saw ($150-$200). The lower price saws won't hold up to regular use. The better the saw the better the cut.
Good luck and have fun.
Carlton

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:08:08 pm »
Hey Josh, Welcome to the forum! The Harbor Freight saw is an entry level saw. I do not know if plain end blade adapters are available for that saw. You know the old saying, You get what you pay for! I'm sure the saw is worth it's weight in steel, but  may not be worth much as a scroll saw. After you get tired of all the vibration, get back on Craig's list and find a DeWalt or Excalibur.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 02:05:08 am »
I started on a ferm scroll saw with pin blades.
then I bought blade clamps from Hegner and rebuild my saw.
I turned the upper pin clamp to get more space.
for the lower pin clamp I replaced by a homemade support.
I toke a iron hook

and bend it to the shape that it could hold the blade clamp.

works perfect.
for me the only thing missing is the variable speed. that why I bought a Hegner.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 03:01:47 am »
I agree with dg play with it for a while or until you get sick of the vibration then buy a scroll saw, but don't let it deter you if poss. try and get a demo on a good saw
Jimbo

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 07:25:48 am »
The "pinging noise" is probably the tension to high on the blade. I agree you have an entry level saw. Use it to see if you want to continue scrolling before buying a mid level or high end saw.  8)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:42:04 am by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:09:41 am »
Welcome Josh,  Most of us started on an entry level saw.  I started on an 18" Dremel - I have an Excalibur EX21 now.  The pin is going to limit you on the size of inside cuts you can make.  Get your feet wet and if you get as addicted as the rest of us, get a bigger, badder, better saw.  Happy Scrolling.

joshindy

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 06:08:05 pm »
Thanks everyone....i will tinker with it and see what I can make....hopefully i'll get a project or two posted when i complete them.

Any good ideas for a first real project more than just playing around?

SMF

Teknoromi