Author Topic: CUTTING METAL Tips Needed  (Read 1190 times)

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
CUTTING METAL Tips Needed
« on: April 07, 2012, 04:53:53 pm »
I need some tips on cutting very thin sheets of copper.  They're about the thickness of stiff poster board.  I'll be cutting a boat's name out of the center.   I think I'll adhere the copper to plywood, so I can get a grip on it.  Probably use #5 metal cutting blade, but not sure about that.  Any suggetions?
MOONIE

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: CUTTING METAL Tips Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:01:16 pm »
Do you ever stack cut? The process is pretty much the same.
Make a metal sandwich with plywood on the outsides. use what ever plywood you have on hand (1/8 or 1/4" work well) Stick the stack together using what ever method you like to use; tape the edges, hot glue, nails, double stick tape... I tape the outside edges most of the time.
You need to have a piece of plywood on top and bottom to keep the blade from catching the metal and bending it (copper is soft, so it will be even more of an issue then some of the other metals) The wood keeps things from catching and jumping, when cutting you will hardly realize that there is a piece of metal in the stack.
I use what ever regular blade I would use for the pattern to cut the stack (personally a #5 reverse most of the time) I don't know what the metal cutting blades look like, but I have had really good results with regular blades. The blade will dull a bit quicker then in plain wood, and you will notice when it is getting dull.

Good luck, Let me know if you have any other questions.
Katie

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:25:52 pm »
Katie has given you the best advice, Go with her advice and you wont go wrong!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:29:40 pm »
I will second that. I don't think you can add much more. Listen to her advice..!  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 07:31:32 pm »
Great info, "Teach"!!!

Now how about cutting 1/8" Aluminum? Seems I have a large piece I found in my S.O.'s basement that was brought home by her daughter one night. Bright yellow paint on the one side and in the shape of a very large triangle....

I have already cut the evid, er thing into manageable sections.

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:45:28 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

UHMNL

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 08:03:26 pm »
Hi GB,
Glad to send you a sample of the AC blade, just email me.
After you get the blade, let us know how it worked.
FD Mike

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:11:01 pm »
Thanks, everyone, expecailly Katie,  for the great info.  I wouldn't have thought to stack ply on the top.  I'll get to the project soon.  Been busy finishing  a couple of pieces for  show this week end.  Thanks, again.   :)
MOONIE

SMF

Teknoromi