Author Topic: Stains  (Read 604 times)

wntrrwd

Stains
« on: February 25, 2012, 10:24:15 pm »
What is the best way to stain items. What do you all use?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Stains
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:49:40 pm »
Hey Mark, I use mostly hardwoods. I don't use stains on hardwoods. I like the natural color of the woods so I use oils to bring out the color and grain of the woods. the only time I use stains is on backer boards on portraits. I apply the stain with a clean cloth, let it sit for just a couple of minutes, then wipe off the excess, then let dry. Apply a second coat if needed.
Dan In Southern California

wntrrwd

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:54:42 pm »
what types of oils and where do you purchase them at?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:37:43 am »
I use a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. I soak the project in an old metal baking pan. Let it soak for about five minutes or so. I use a chip brush to keep areas that ain't in the oil wet. Then take it out of the oil letting it drip off into the pan. wipe the excess oil with a clean lint free rag, and let dry for 24 hours or so. Then you can apply your top coat. I use rattle can lacquer.
I keep the oil in a glass mason jar with a tight fitting lid
The oil brings out the natural color and grain of the wood.
All these materials can be purchased at your local home center, hardware store or paint store.
Dan In Southern California

wntrrwd

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 12:54:05 am »
thanks for the info!

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 02:20:18 pm »
and try shellac as a sealing. Works great, is easy to use. And it's all natural, no allergic effects to expect from that.

SMF

Teknoromi