Author Topic: Krylon acrylic spray  (Read 749 times)

eyerod

Krylon acrylic spray
« on: November 29, 2011, 12:13:50 am »
Has anyone used this on there projects. It says it is for indoor or outdoors use. Being a novice at this, what is the difference between polyurethane, acrylic or lacquer finishes? Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Krylon acrylic spray
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 02:23:17 am »
Polyurethane - is widely revered as one of the most durable yet easy-to-apply protective wood finishes. Polyurethanes are now available in both oil-based and water-based, and there are differences in the way in which both are applied and in durability. However, for many projects that will see a lot of wear and tear, few finishes are as appropriate as applying polyurethane for the final touch.

Lacquers - Most professionals still regard lacquer as the best all-around finish for wood because it dries fast, imparts an incredible depth and richness to the wood, exhibits moderate to excellent durability (depending on the type used) and rubs out well. There are several different types of lacquer, and they exhibit different performance characteristics.

Acrylic - Water-based finish contains some of the same ingredients as varnish and lacquer -- notably urethane, alkyd and acrylic -- but many flammable and polluting ingredients have been replaced with water. This durable, non yellowing, wood finish is formulated for interior use. This fast drying, low-odor finish beautifies and protects interior wood, may be used on displays, crafts, decorative painting, watercolors, charcoal, pencil and other painted surfaces.

It just depend on the project what you would want to use as a finish. I use Poly on furniture or where a more durable finish is needed. Most of my scroll saw projects I use either lacquer or clear acrylic spray.

russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:48:26 am »
Thanks Russ...that is a very clear and concise explanation of the three.
This should be very helpful to those who are just getting familiar with 'finishing' projects.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:05:56 am »
Good response Russ.  I would also add shellac to the mix.  Like lacquer it is fast drying and rubs out well adds depth a a durable and repairable finish.  Dilutable with denatured alcohol.  One of my favorite finishes.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

ShadowB6

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 11:09:58 am »
Hey thanks for the lesson Russ. Though I'm not a beginner, I still learned something new here today.

Mike

SMF

Teknoromi