Author Topic: olsen or flying dutchman?  (Read 9250 times)

Waddawood

Re: olsen or flying dutchman?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 12:57:10 pm »
I've never tried Olsen blades...where do you get them?  I do like Mike's customer service and the blades, but haven't tried the other brand to compare.  Where do I get Olsen blades? Do they have flat ended spirals?

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 01:06:08 pm »
I use both, but primarily Olson. 

Mike's customer service is legendary among scrollers but I've never had any complaints about the service I've gotten from Sloan's. 
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

joey65746

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 03:21:32 pm »
Charlie Dearing you can get olsen blades from ace hardwhere  and there are a few places online to get them but pozsgaidesigns.com  is a great place to get them frank will help you out and get them to you fast. his service is top notch and he has a part to convert the rbi saw to use the dleta quick set2 blade holder that is great
    i also use bouth blades i am likeing the ultra reverse blades from flying dutchmen

Spartan scroller

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 07:26:32 pm »
While I was on vacation in Tennesee this summer I visited an old production cutter in the Smokies.  This guy was a real pro and I wanted to pick his brain for a while and learn some things from the grizzled old scroller.  First thing he asked is "What kinda saw ya got?"  I told him Dewalt 788 and he stuck up his nose and shook his head like I had just passed gas in front of him. He, of course, uses and Excaliber.  Next he asked what kind of blades I used.  I told him "mostly flying ducthman".  Again the same reaction. "no d..mn good".  All right what do you use? He never told me the brand but says he gets them from Judy Gale Roberts (the intarsia artist).  He likes them because you can bend them double and they don't break "like dem Dutchman or Olie blades"! I took away the moral that "Any thin youse use is crap. And any thin ah uses is GOLD!"  So it all comes down to personal preference...doesn't it?

Regards,
Terry
terrysscrollshoppe.blogspot.comterrysscrollshoppe.com

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Olsen or flying Dutchman?
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 09:30:54 pm »
One thing you will never hear me say is "mine is better than yours". As a scroll saw instructor I tell my students what works for me may not work for you. It is a matter of preference. I encourage people to try different blade brands and blade types and pick what works for you. As I posted earlier, I use both Flying Dutchman and Olsen's because neither brand does what I need in a blade. There are times when I use both brands on the same project!
Dan In Southern California

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 10:45:12 pm »
I use both and have no preference. They both work for me.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

scott312

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 12:15:11 am »
I just ordered my first FD Blades 2 days ago. I had just gotten my first Scroll Saw last Friday. I think I'm using Olsen. I have never had a blade brake before.I did snag wood twice and spill coffee 4 times.

tux_linux

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 08:29:32 am »
you will have breaking blades Scott.
It still shocks me when the blade breaks and the saw gets loud. But I got used to it and do not jump away any more ;D

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 09:35:39 am »
 :D Spartan Scroller.....I loved your story and I have met people like that  ;D Thanks for my morning chuckle.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 09:48:34 am »
Judy H turned me on... OH, to Galaxy spirals that is!

I ordered and tried a few dozen...the 2/0 sure don't like my 'tension' settings! Had to scale way back but finally got the hang of them. Finer kerf than the FD NS 2/0 but way more aggressive...learning curve for me.
Still do most of my portrait stuff with the FD's and use both FD and Olson for general work.

As stated...I use what works best for the situation!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

cameronj

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 12:10:50 pm »
I use Olson.
Jim

scott312

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 04:26:40 pm »
you will have breaking blades Scott.

I'm sure I will. I have worked in a machine shop for years and that helps on my feed and speed rate ) a little.
My fingers send info to my little brain on vibrations they are picking up to let me know whats going on next to the blade.

Thank you for the reply : )

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 06:16:36 pm »
hey GB glad I turned you on  ;D Thought my selinoid was shot a long time ago.  :D
I use nothing but Galaxy spirals because of the finer kerf for my puzzles
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 11:57:24 pm »
I use both, but use the FD more.  I like ordering from Mike.  His customer service is first rate, with a good selection and price.

Barry

Marshall

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 02:12:02 am »
I use both FD and Olson , perfer FD over the Olson ...........

SMF

Teknoromi