Author Topic: Tension adjustment broken  (Read 9657 times)

TomC

Tension adjustment broken
« on: July 21, 2011, 10:02:54 pm »
The blade clamp adjustment screw broke on my saw (I was putting way too much pressure on it because the blades kept slipping). I have since found some very helpful hints from this group about cleaning the blades and clamps - but had to wait for the replacement adjusters.

Well new clamps came today and - what do you know you're advice was right on and i was able to use much less pressure but the clamps still hold the blades when tensioned.

Now... The tension adjustment itself  stopped working. 

I am using a Ryobi 16", tension is adjusted with a knob at the rear of the arm.  Now it turns, begins to tighten the tension and immediately snaps loose again.

I'll take it apart tomorrow and hopefully find a loose nut or spring that i can easily fix.

Wish me luck guys.  While this might be a good excuse to upgrade to a better saw, that's not going to be in the budget for a while yet.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Tension adjustment broken
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:54:57 pm »
Good luck Tom. I hope it will be a simple fix. If not, you may need to buy a new saw! Bummer!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 11:16:24 pm »
If you need schematics let us know...they are available online...

Good Luck!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:08:21 am »
It may be nothing worse than a stripped thread or such, those things can be fixed pretty easy. (usually)
Good luck,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 03:01:55 am »
I had a Ryobi and that fell to pieces, these saws are only made for casual use, best to buy some thing decent if you intend to do a lot of sawing
Jimbo

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:42:28 am »
Now it turns, begins to tighten the tension and immediately snaps loose again.

I'll take it apart tomorrow and hopefully find a loose nut or spring that i can easily fix.

You fill find a nut that has been overtorqued.

Please make some photos when you've opened the body of the saw.

Waddawood

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 03:48:55 am »
Yeah, what Jimbo said.  I had a Ryobi and it was a piece of "poop".  Upper arm broke while I was scrolling.  All kinds of problems with it.  Definitely not the saw to have if you're scrolling alot.  Sadly, I also know that money can dictate what saws we use.

TomC

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 08:01:27 am »
Thanks everyone.  This saw was intended as an entry level to see if any interest in the 'sport'.  It was actually a gift.  I've expected that I'd need to upgrade to a better saw, but so far i've been able to do everything my skill level allows.

Torsten - I will snap a shot when i get the covers off.

I'm going to start watching those garage sales and see if i can find a Hegner on sale cheap! or maybe an Excaliber...

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:11:17 am »
Hey, Tom.  I used to do demos at Home Depot on the Ryobi.  You are right - it is a good entry level saw but it is not made to last.  Check with Ray at Seyco.  He does sometimes have excalibur saws that have been traded in or reconditioned at a decent price. 

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 09:14:05 am »
Same here. I started, saw that this is right and sold some other hobby items I'm not using enough any more to get money for a decent saw.

Now I'm pushing the limit and get advices from all sides to sell stuff.

TomC

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 10:04:51 pm »
Turns out the tension adjustment is a threaded shaft that runs through to opposed nuts.  The threads at the top nut on the shaft are, in fact, stripped.  Fortunately, this is a very inexpensive item, so it is now on order.

Picture shows how the adjuster is mounted.  Stripped threads are not visible here because they are basically in the nut near the top.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:07:23 pm by TomC »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 11:08:46 pm »
Hey Tom, I figured it would be something like that. Glad it's an easy fix. It gives you some time to start putting a little money away for when it really dies!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 12:58:46 am »
The threads on the adjustment screw look pretty worn too just above the wedge shaped nut,  in bottom photo. You probably should check it close and replace it at the same time because if they are worn it won't be long until you have to do it again.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

tux_linux

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 05:11:39 am »
OK, thanks for the photos.Was it complicated to open the saw? The reason I ask is to show people that a scroll saw is not such a high sophisticated machine as expected. Indeed it's a pretty simple machine.

TomC

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 07:58:11 am »
Gabby - the replacement is the whole unit: threaded shaft and both nuts, so I should be OK.

Torsten - work was not complicated. Screws along the edge of the arm and four on the bottom of the saw to allow the case to be opened. Two small screws that anchor the shaft.

SMF

Teknoromi