Author Topic: Donating My Work?  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
Re: Donating My Work?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 11:29:12 am »
Torsten, I recognize the pressure it puts on the buyer to set their own price, but I really don't know what to ask otherwise.  I've only had one piece sold, and that was the one I donated to the silent auction.  Folks there often bid more than they would pay otherwise, recognizing it's a form of giving.  I'll know Tuesday.  That's when I deliver and get the check.  I'll let you all know how that goes!  And I promise not to be disappointed if the check is $1.00, lol.

Regarding being disabled, I'm seeing more and more scrollers who are truly disabled.  The folks selling the Hawk saws even have a stand with spread legs so those in wheel chairs can still scroll.  I'm fortunate that I can still walk, although not far and using a cane, but I know my day will come sooner than I want.  My diabetes is taking it's toll, even though I now have it under control.  I had to sell my beloved boat because I no longer have balance, and that's when I decided to scroll instead.  Have to give thanks every day for what I have, and not complain about what I don't.

I just brought my wife home from the hospital after suffering three heart attacks.  Fortunately they didn't do any real damage to the heart, but they did have to use the paddles on her each time.  Finally implanted a combo/fibulator unit to get it all under control.  More to give thanks for.  I kid her that I now have a bionic woman for a wife!
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 08:08:26 pm »
I started scrolling for fun - still do.  However if I can sell a piece or two I do.  I'm not working and would like to stay that way, but that means that I really need to start selling pieces somewhere.  Several years ago I had an order from a gallery for 100 snowflakes of various sizes.  My choice re: which patterns.  I was working 50-60 hours a week and only had about 2 months to get them done.  I hated each and every one of them.  However, I got paid enough to be a used Hegner saw, so it was okay after all. 

I have donated to silent auction and was very disappointed the first time.  Since then I set a minimum bid (knowing that if no one bids it that I will donate that amount to the charity).  The pieces sell for more which benefits the charity even more.  It helps to be sure that the information supplied with the piece that tells how the piece was cut with a scroll saw by you.  I've had folks assumed that the piece was cut with a laser.  Adding a little personal info helps.
Cathy
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

ChuckD

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 11:35:42 pm »
I make a lot of stuff and sell none.  Most every thing I make goes to family, friends and a few raffles ( about 20).  There is no time limit on anything I make.  If something is going to a raffle or a charity I will pick something I have already made and donate it with the request that I would like to know how much they made on it.  (got to feed the ego).  I feel that if I were to try to make it to make money then it becomes a job.  I am not rich but I don't need to take away dollars from someone who needs to make items for the income.  I enjoy my hobby and that is all it is....  And I hope it stays that way.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 12:59:02 pm »
Just a quick update on my dilemma about selling and pricing.  The lady who wanted the two pieces picked up the one I had made last Tuesday, and gave me a check for $50 for both.  I'm satisfied with the amount and have already given it to the Feed The Hungry program at my church.  BTW, the pattern I used was Steve Good's "Hello God", and cut from oak, without the clock.  Now I have to make another, and hope I do as good a job on it as I did on the first!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 01:30:22 pm »
Congratulations Crabby. Not a bad price!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 04:15:57 pm »
yeah, congrats! well done!
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

tux_linux

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 06:43:33 pm »
the pattern I used was Steve Good's "Hello God", and cut from oak, without the clock.

I officially declare this to be a project that needs to be documented by the rules of the community and the scrollsawer's codex  ;D

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 09:04:48 am »
I have done cutting to order for years mostly to crafters that want to decorate or finish the items.  It can get tedious for sure such as the lady who wanted 100 2" hearts but at least it helps pay for this addiction.  I recently donated a couple of Harley Davidson pieces for an auction at Amvets to raise funds for the honor flights.  Don't know how they sold.

Vince

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 08:34:02 am »
     I had a group I worked with, "Telephone company". I worked outside, some crazy hours - my wife never knew when I'd be home. Some things I gave away. Then people would insist on paying. Who am I to say no, unless I felt it was to much. I worked nights and week-ends on cutting wood - it took the stress out of the job. What money I did make I sunk the money I made into tools, wood and glue.
     The "mail boy" came to me one day and had someone that wanted to know if I could make a bed. I said sure, but I need pictures of what she wanted, and I want you to help me make it - we'll split the money we make. A couple of days later, he comes over to the house with an arm full of books. In each was what she liked and what she didn't like. I drew up a picture of her likes and quoted her $900.00. I had gone out and priced beds sort of like this. We made $25.00 each, do to the changes she came up with along the way. The women was very happy with the bed. I learned a lot ,as did the "Mail boy", who over years become the VP of the company.
     Over the years I ended up with $25,000.00 worth of tools and for the most part, all with the scroll saw.

PS: Don't short change your self - Time is money. But I still can't put a price on the fun.....Vince

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 02:37:23 am »
Just had to tell my scroller friends how my donation ended.  When I did the first "Hello God", the buyer gave me a check for $50, which I accepted as payment for both items she wanted.  I later finished the second "Hello God", and mailed it to her.  She sent an email saying she wanted to pay me for the postage, and I responded that she had already paid me in full, nothing further expected.

Today I received a thank you card, and a check for $55.90!  She apparently checked the cost of the postage and then paid me a second $50.  Now I know I'm not that good, that the scrolling I did for her wasn't truly worth $100, but that's the value she placed on them.  The second check is headed for my church and the "Feed the Hungry" program.  They'll be happy!  There are good people in this world..

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 02:47:27 am »
"There are good people in this world..
Sounds like you are one of them!
Ther are others here in this group of Friends!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi