Author Topic: Hegner Scroll Saw  (Read 9820 times)

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
Hegner Scroll Saw
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:55:56 am »
I apologize if this topic has previously been discussed, but I would like some information about Hegner's Scroll Saw. I am curious if anyone uses this particular saw and if so what is your opinion of it. I realize that it is quite a bit more expensive than other popular models, i.e. Dewalt. I would like to know whether the quality and ease of use is worth the extra cost.  Also, what are the good points and bad points. Any input will be appreciated. Oh! Just in case there is any doubt I would be getting the Hegner...not my son!

Louis
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:29:00 am by lwilli »
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
Re: Hegner Scroll Saw
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:15:42 am »
Have no info about the Hegner.  Use a Dewalt my self.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:27:39 am »
i have no info either but the bit of reading i seen on them seemed like they where good saws. but that's just reading needs to get the info from someone that use's one and get the info you really need.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 08:45:33 am »
Newfie, you are exactly right. Reading about the machine isn't the same as actually hearing from someone who has used it. I have the utmost respect for all the experienced people on this board that is why I opened up this subject for discussion.

Louis
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 10:05:18 am »
I have had one for a little over a year, I got a deal on a used one. The blade changing on the hegner is different then the rest of the saws I have seen. In this situation different is not better. I recently got a different blade clamp, a quick clamp from advanced machinery, and it has made a ton of difference. Before I couldn't figure out what was so special about the saw, now I can focus on the smooth cuts, no vibration and quiet motor. The table is a little small, I'm not sure how that effects me yet, I'll let you know in a couple weeks.
I also posted a more fun review yesterday, look for "i think I'm in love"
I use a dewalt at school, and I really like it. If you had the money to spend the hegner is probably worth it. But I, personally, don't think I would have spent the extra time saving for the high price tag, twice the price of the dewalt. Do you have any saw right now? 
MrsN

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:27:36 am »
MrsN

Thank you for your response! I am currently using a Dewalt Saw which is a fine machine. However, my son has shown some interest in learning this art. So I thought that perhaps an additional saw for my shop might be in my future. I have only considered the Hegner, but as you mentioned the cost may not be justified considering I could buy two Dewalt Saws for the single price tag of the Hegner. Sometimes more expensive isn't always better. I have found that asking for opinions before purchasing is always worth it.

Louis

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 10:31:15 am »
Hi Iwilli an Mrsn....As the lady stated I chime in on all of her replys.  I was fortunate to of been given my Hegner 18 in.  It is 10 years old, but still operates like a NEW saw.  Quite and would you believe it will let you be able to CUT A STRAIGHT LINE?  I have had 3 other cheaper models and my Hegner is 1000% better than all three.  Putting the BOTTOM blade holder in its bracket is to me still a problem, but always gets in.  I would say the Germans really, really made a STRONG, but simple look into their Scroll saw.
Well thats my input....I like you would LOVE to hear from all the Hegner owners out there.  Later....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

ChuckD

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 01:27:32 am »
I have and use the Hegner and it is worth every penny.  I use my Delta P-20 for some of the work but for the fine work I use the Hegner, even if it is a bottom feeder but I can change the hole in less than 20 seconds so that is not a real problem anymore.  The cuts never need sanding and I use a lot of spirals.  The clamps in the P-20 won't hold them, even after I flatten them out.  The table may be small but I have cut slabs 3 and 4 feet long with no problem (thanks to the roller stands I put on both sides of it.)  In ten years I have not had one mechanical problem. 
Just remember the old saying, "You get what you pay for".  Good luck

woodie44

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 03:10:39 am »
Hi Iwilli,

I live in Australia, so I hope these comments are relevant.

Recently I upgraded to a Hegner 18inch with variable speed, and I?m very happy with it. In my opinion it is an excellent piece of precision engineering which does the job it?s designed for very well. I?ve listed the main points which, in my opinion, make the Hegner an outstanding scroll saw.

1.   The Hegner is compact and light at 19kg, and has relatively few moving parts. Despite this it cuts wood 65mm thick, while most scroll saws only cut wood 50mm thick. It has an 18 inch throat which is adequate for most jobs, the controls are easy to reach and there is provision for dust extraction. Hegners now come with a new jointed hose dust blower.

2.   The German made Hegner has very little vibration, and after putting a base plate on mine, I am able to use it while it sits on top of a 20 inch high three legged wooden stand I made myself, stabilized by nothing more than a piece of grip mat.

3.    I found the blade locking system on the Hegner both easy to use and extremely accurate. The quick release clamp works well, and the blade does not slip once the tension has been correctly set. In particular reverse tooth blades are correctly positioned so that the reverse teeth cut correctly reducing burring on the bottom of the cut.

4.   The Hegner 2Se comes with spare blades, four blade clamps as well as a quick blade clamp. It has a spare plastic table insert, which can be modified for use as a zero blade clearance insert. The manual is well written and useful, and the machine comes with a two year warranty.

5.   A bracket and work light can also be bought as accessories and in my opinion are well worth the money. The bracket bolts to the rear of the frame and the anglepoise light can be positioned anywhere the operator wishes. It is an excellent accessory!

In my opinion the design and the limited number of moving parts, as well as the high standard of German precision engineering,  make Hegner scroll saws extremely accurate and reliable pieces of equipment, which deserve the high reputation they have.

In fact it's usual for Hegner owners to have their saws perform reliably for many years. If there is a problem the parts are available, and because of the simple design easy to fix. Personally I would recommend the Hegner unconditionally provided you are in a position to pay the extra money.

Hopes this helps.

Paul

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 11:05:56 am »
I've had my dewalt for almost 12 years.  Love my saw but it si showing signs of wear and recently I stripped out the thumb screw for the blade clamp.  I replaced both the top and bottom blade clamps and now I have very noticeable back and forth motion on the blade.

I decided that this is unacceptable and can not be fixed easily so I have just ordered a Excalibur 21 inch saw from Seyco.  I've heard very good things about it and could not myself justify a Hegner or Hawk.  I do a lot of cutting as I have a local weekend Saturday Mkt all summer (22 weeks), local craft shows and a relatively busy website.  So I required a reliable saw and after about 2 months of research and soul searching decided the Seyco saw was for me.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

SawTooth

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 03:14:56 pm »
I got a used 18" Hegner variable speed saw after being frustrated by my DeWalt's inability to hold on to blades while I'm cutting.  I did not like the Hegner at all.
  It is a bottom feeder... but why the blade holder are loose in blade-holder holders is beyond me... it makes for inefficient blade changes and awkward procedure for fretwork.  To change blades, the lower blade holder has to be removed and placed in a table-side recess and a hex-key used to affix the blade... then the blade holder is replaced in it's holder.  Unless you buy a modified upper blade holder, you tighten the upper end of the blade w/the hex key.  How one holds the upper blade holder in correct position, I don't know as it freely pivots forward/backward.
  I don't like DeWalt's forward/backward blade motion and I attributed it to their pivot points so close the blade... but Hegner's blade also had very noticable jumps, too.
  Unless you buy a modified air-blower w/flex arm, the built-in blower, believe it or not, blows right at you!
  The knobs hurt my fingers... their design enables only fingertips to be used... so I cut a wood 'overknob' to act as a wrench, eg. for the table tilt adj. knob.
  The table surface is tiny... 3 1/2" to the left of the blade and not too much more to the right... you need an aux. top or other supports unless cutting small pieces, eg. for intarsia.
  Mine was used, so I don't know if its vibration is common... but mine at half-speed could churn butter from milk.  Adv. Machinery said I must use their stand or it will vibrate... I did use their stand and it still vibrated.
   The blade tension lever is not comfortable to the hand/fingers.
  There are no amenities with Hegner saws... no light, no vac port, stand optional yet not an option (see above)... I saw no justification to spend the money they want for what you get.  Even if it works perfectly, you get a small, basic scroll saw... nothing more.
  FYI, I got a used Hawk 26" to work with after the Hegner...  their blade holding concept is extremely similar, so I feel similarly about he Hawk... not worth the premium price as no features come with it (in this case, the 26" throat could be a reason to spend the money, but that's only if one is cutting projects that are that large.  Here I thought, for sure, the blade being so far foward of the pivots that the blade would travel nearly perfectly up/down without the forward/backward jumps, but not so.
  They both made me appreciate my DeWalt a little more... but if I were to get a new saw, I'd be looking closely at Seyco... similar design to DeWalt, but I think it might be built better... unless someone says differently.

That's my 2-cents and I'm sticking with it.

Spence

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 03:29:58 pm »
Hey Saw tooth, I don't find the front to back issue with the DeWalt a problem. I cut every and any type of scroll saw projects from jigsaw puzzles to compound cutting in 1 1/2" hardwoods without any problems. Yes the blade holder of the DeWalt saw are problematic, but can be addressed by sanding the ends of the thumb screws, and cleaning the ends of the blades.
Some scrollers are going to the Excalibur EX21, and maybe I will too, but for right now, My Dewalt 788 is fine!
Dan In Southern California

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 09:15:29 pm »
I have owned a Hegner 18V saw for twenty years and never had a problem with it. I do agree that the older models use a hex key to change blades and doing fret work required a lot of time and patience but I purchased the the quick clamp and it makes a world of difference. Changing blades using the hex key becomes a snap once you get the hang of it. I also recently purchased the  newer retrofit lever instead of the knob for tensioning in the rear of the saw. All in all I am not sorry I purchased the saw and would purchase another if this one dies.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:49:50 pm by campasano »
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 01:02:18 pm »
I  wish to personally thank everyone who contributed their opinions both for and against. I have some thinking to do. And Paul of course your opinions are relevant. I am proud to say that I now know someone in Australia.

Louis

SMF

Teknoromi