Author Topic: New mop  (Read 1083 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
New mop
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:12:35 pm »
Made a new sanding mop today and followed Steve's instructions to the letter, DON'T use your band saw to cut the sand paper, it works fine but it wrecks the blade, also dulled the drill bit, I am hopeful that I will be able to resharpen my band saw blade if it is not bad.
The sanding mop turned out fine I used a roll 150 grit paper I had given to me it is a bit stiff but should be OK, not sure why they are not available to buy in NZ. I have also looked around for a flap sander but as yet have not seen them
Jimbo

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: New mop
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:16:46 pm »
Good for you Jimbo. Don't forget you need to break it in with a chunk of scrap wood!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 04:21:44 am »
I guess we should make a list of things not to do when building sanding mop. I used my band saw too and wrecked my blade. I had to buy a new blade. Also break it in like Dan said before you use it on a project.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 05:44:14 am »
The more bent, curled and floppy it gets - the better it works.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:13:19 pm »
I made a mop as well following the instructions.  I tried using the scroll saw first.  THAT didn't go too far.  Then I ended up using 3 utility knife blades to finish the job.

I used a paper from work off our 24" belt sander.  It was 120 grit, but it removed way too much wood!  I ended up getting Klingspor's flutter wheel.  Their's is cloth backed - much better for sanding this way.

Karl
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:09:08 pm by KarlB »

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 10:37:01 pm »
I think the softer the paper would be better, I used it this morning on some dog puzzles it saved heaps of time
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi