Author Topic: Let's discuss the mugs, shall we?  (Read 2993 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Re: Let's discuss the mugs, shall we?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 03:09:13 am »
Janet be kind the boy may be reading your unkind remarks then how would he feel,
How do you like that for stiring it up
Jimbo

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 03:10:51 am »
You may like one of my wooden spoons as well
Jimbo

northie66

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 06:47:49 am »
I wasn't being unkind!  I thought he did a great job... it just wasn't the one I liked the best.  Kids get coddled too much nowadays... heck, they give them trophies just for playing in a sports league... whether they win or not.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 12:13:07 pm »
Janet....are you sure you are only in your 40's?

You have made statements that fit right in with my philosophy and I'm in my 70's!

If all parents thought the way you do there would likely be much less of a problem with our youth!

You rock girl!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 01:00:08 pm »
My,my,my. Someone got up with Mr. Grumpy on there shoulders. First you are going to take the pruning shears to the privates of the guy who dates your daughter, now your bashing little childrens hopes and dreams. LMAO  ::)  ::)  ::)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 02:21:40 pm »
Hey Russ...

Why not move part of this thread to the Coffee Shop or should we start a new thread on "Encouraging" children's hopes or just handing them a prize when they did little or nothing to earn it.

Could lead to a good, if not 'heated' discussion!

You and I have both 'coached' youth and know that the trend has gone from teaching the "Facts of Life" to just handing over the prize, praise and glory.

My grandson went to Gonzaga U. this fall fully hoping to play varsity soccer in the NCAA. He was invited by the the team coach, the captain and the University.
Guess what! He went through everything they threw at him and didn't make the cut!
A humbling experience but he was fully prepared by his parents and everyone else so he is living with the decision and is still happy to be there.
At the Freshman "Parents Orientation" weekend he and his folks were walking across the campus when he was approached by the Rowing Team coach. Coach told them he had been watching Conrad all through the 'soccer ordeal' and hoped he would try out for the Rowing team. He is a powerfully built young man with great upper body development and after the tryouts he was selected immediately.

Kids NEED to learn..."You win some, you lose some and some get rained out!"

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 05:47:53 pm »
As a follow-up to GBs post.
Same thing happened to my son TWICE!
While in college he wanted to join a popular band. He wanted to play lead guitar but, they allready had a 'lead man' and needed a 'bass player', I said, "Go ahead and take the bass job and be the best bass player you can be." He did and was soon asked to fill in for several other bands when he could, and got a great following of fans.
One summer he got a job to be 'music director' at a church camp. After arriving they desided they needed a maintance man worse than a music  director so he accepted the job. He ended up enjoying the experiance and learned alot about maintance and repair of all sorts of things and it helped him get a job with a reality company in the college town that he lived in! Not only that but, he is married with two children now,and a house that he is able to do his own fix-up/maintance on and it saves him ALOT of money.
And he is just a computor geek/salesman now and was hired to be the marketing man eight years ago!!
Never give up or turn down a new opertunity.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

northie66

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 07:07:38 pm »
Good story Roger. And it also illustrates that you should never think you are "above" doing a certain job. And do whatever it is you do to the best of your ability and good things will come to you.

There's too much entitlement in the world today. We need to change that... one person at a time. Get back to our roots. I could go on and on but...

grampa

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 07:56:15 pm »
  ;D If you read this thread starting with the last post you would not think it would end  up with a discussion about a mug  ;D ;D ;D....Paul

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 08:23:03 pm »
Ain't that the truth Paul. It has happened on other threads to. They seem to wander off on their own. LOL  ::)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 09:46:45 pm »
I voted for #5 just because it was mine, but I liked #1 the best just because of the different woods.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 10:05:48 pm »
i voted for #5 because it stood out from the rest. it looked like maple & walnut, these two colors look good together

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 12:18:24 pm »
I waited too long,  >:( couldn't make up my mind on the actual 4 top vote getters.  :-\ They were all great entries and I hope to try my own soon. Is there a page with all the entries? The kid did do a great job, I hope my first try comes out half as good. I would consider that a success and no place to go but up!  :)

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 02:27:43 pm »
thanks termite. it was actually walnut & poplar. that was all i had at the time that would work. i have some bloodwood and brazilain cherry but it was not wide enough and not enough time to glue up and plane/sand. Mike

SMF

Teknoromi