Author Topic: Can lacquer be a food safe finish?  (Read 9388 times)

countryscroller

Can lacquer be a food safe finish?
« on: July 04, 2013, 04:59:07 pm »
I am making a banana holder and want to know if lacquer will be ok to spray on it.

rob roy

Re: Can lacquer be a food safe finish?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 05:27:23 pm »
Hi Dustin, I think you'll find most lacquers are safe, as long as they are well cured and I doubt if anyone will be chewing on your banana holder LOL.HTH.
Rob Roy.

countryscroller

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 05:47:44 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Rob. Haha I doubt it either, just didn't know. Also would it be fine for wooden salt and pepper shakers? I am making them on camera next.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:27:07 am »
I would be ok with it because the finish is unlikely to flake off and be eaten.
Beeswax would be a safer option, if you are picky.

For my own personal stuff I tend not worry too much. I figure that with all of the scary chemicals in/on/around food (and everything) I am screwed coming and going. I can't panic over every little thing.

countryscroller

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 03:26:08 am »
Thanks mrsn, I used your suggestion with the rust-oleum laquer.

rob roy

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 04:48:08 am »
Hi Dustin, you'll find lacquer will be OK for for your salt and pepper shakers. Put a good few coats on. Will you be using color or clear?. Just curious. ;) ;)
Rob Roy.

countryscroller

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:01:56 am »
Hi Dustin, you'll find lacquer will be OK for for your salt and pepper shakers. Put a good few coats on. Will you be using color or clear?. Just curious. ;) ;)
Rob Roy.
Ok thanks. I will be using clear.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 11:40:56 am »
When in doubt use shellac it is for sure food safe.  However lacquer is also once cured so long as it is from a US manufacturer.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 11:46:04 am »
You could just rub the banana holder down with Mineral Oil from the drug store and be sure that you are safe. But the finishes manufactured here in thr U.S. will all be safe if allowed to dry & cure properly.
Personal Choice...Shellac.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 02:04:28 pm »
We had a demonstration on finishing at our woodturning club today, and that question was asked by one of our members. The reply was it is food safe as long as it has been allowed to fully cure, the curing time varies between different makes of lacquer, but it will say on the can somewhere the time it takes to fully cure.  Hope this helps

Keith.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

grampa sawdust

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 05:22:14 pm »
If the person was concerned about the outer finish of the banana holder would they not just have to peel it. Sorry I am just not right in the head. couldn't resist

SMF

Teknoromi