Author Topic: sort of OT: table mounting dewalt 611 compact router  (Read 8973 times)

Candi_D

sort of OT: table mounting dewalt 611 compact router
« on: December 28, 2012, 02:18:02 pm »
Hi everyone! I decided I "needed" a router so I could make some plaques for my scroll saw projects, make simple little photo frames, wooden toys for my girls etc... I ended up picking the Dewalt 611 since it felt most comfortable when I held them all at HD/Lowes and I liked all of the options it had for a small router. I would however like to use it in a table sometimes (I got the kit that has the fixed & plunge bases so I can mount the fixed)... again just for little projects. I saw Rockler makes a trim "table" specifically for it however for the price I didn't feel like it was a good buy, plus I'd still have to buy the dust port and clamp it to a table or build a small stand. Some people recommended a Grizzly table, but that one even though it looks like an amazing deal it really is more table then I need, and at about $160 shipped was more then I wanted to spend. So today I went to HD and picked up the Ryobi Universal Router Table. It's decent quality, good size for me... the only issue is that my compact 611 is too small to mount to the pre-existing holes. So I have two options... 1) I drill new holes through the table that match up to the base on my router or 2) make a sub base for my router... if I go with this option what should I use for the sub-base? I was thinking 1/4" or 1/8" plexiglass or wood? I assume I'd screw it to my router and then use the existing holes in the table to screw into it? Would you make it just big enough to reach the tables existing holes or would you make it the same size as the plate on the router (I could easily use my scroll saw to make an exact match) does it matter?

I'm leaning to wanting to go with option 2 since if there is anything wrong with the table I couldn't return it if I drill new holes in the top and my bits stick out far enough that 1/4" or 1/8" sub plate shouldn't cause any issues.

Thanks for opinions!

Here are the links to what I'm using if anyone needs them:
Router: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP611PK-Torque-Variable-Compact/dp/B0049ZFUK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356722222&sr=8-1&keywords=dewalt+611
Table: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100593231/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=router+table&storeId=10051#.UN3wS4njlPR

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: sort of OT: table mounting dewalt 611 compact router
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 02:39:54 pm »
I would try a thin sub-plate first, then it that don't work and the table looks like it fit your needs then drill holes for the router to fit the table. Useing the sub plate first will allow to see of the table will work for your needs, if not can return it.

Candi_D

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 02:41:17 pm »
sounds like a solid plan, what material should I use? Will 1/4" plexi be enough or should I use wood?

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 02:44:15 pm »
Pending on how big the plate needs to be I would worry about the plastic flexing, I would try wood first, might try with 1/8 if thats not enough put another 1/8 will give you 1/4.

Candi_D

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 02:49:59 pm »
awesome, thank you! I'll update once I've had a chance to do this :)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 02:51:58 pm »
Your welcome one of my specialties is is making stuff to fit things that don't fit, I can rig all sorts of stuff together. Kinda like the McGuyver tv show.

rob roy

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 06:49:58 pm »
Hi Candid, see if you can obtain a universal sub base for your model of router from a local supplier. HTH.
Rob Roy.

Candi_D

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 06:53:01 pm »
Hi Candid, see if you can obtain a universal sub base for your model of router from a local supplier. HTH.
Rob Roy.

The only other base I've seen for it is actually smaller, I think making my own is the only option if I want to avoid drilling through the new router table plate.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 07:10:12 pm »
Or make your own custom table.

Candi_D

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 07:12:55 pm »
I'm not confident enough yet to do that, so for under $100 I'm happy with this one... just need to get the base mounted :)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 07:59:46 pm »
I noticed that the plunge base is larger than the fixed base. Is it large enough to have room for the screws on the table to match? If so you could drill and tap holes in the base and use it. You would have to remove the springs in the plunge part but, it would make it a lot easier to adjust the bit height in the table. If it is too tall for the table, add some legs (feet) to the table and jack it up a few inches.
Just another "rigging" possibility.  ;)
I too have a masters degree in "MAKE IT WORK" type situations.  ;D

Rog

An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Candi_D

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 09:06:14 pm »
That might work but the whole point in getting the kit was so I could use the plunge handheld and set the other in the table, it's not a super big deal to make a sub base, should take me less then 10 mins once I get some wood or plexi... it's SUPER easy to adjust the depth with the 611 so it should work well for a table mount using the fixed base.

SMF

Teknoromi