Author Topic: wood for scroll saw work  (Read 9062 times)

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
wood for scroll saw work
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:39:36 pm »
Hello everyone, I am new here but I have been into woodworking for several years. I have never done any scroll saw work but I got me a scroll saw today and am going to give it a try.
I was wondering where u get 1/4 " plywood to make stuff out of. Maybe Lowe's or Homedepot has it I haven't checked yet.
I have seen it for sale from woodcraft stores on net but would like to buy it local if possible.
Thanks,
George S.
Let's make some saw dust!

Dave W

Re: wood for scroll saw work
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 07:08:36 pm »
Welcome!  The Home Depot by me does indeed carry a surprising amount of 1/4" stock.  One of the best parts is they carry plenty of 1/4" poplar, red oak, and cedar, all of which I use extensively.   I don't like using ply much but they do have it.  Good prices too.  The downside is that about as "exotic" as their woods get but you can't have it  all :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:10:09 pm by Dave W »

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 07:52:10 pm »
Thanks Dave I was just curious what do you use other than plywood?
Let's make some saw dust!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 08:31:49 pm »
Hey George, Welcome to the forum! The big box stores do carry 1/4" hardwoods that are great for scroll sawing, but the thin plywoods will have voids. I resaw and plain my thin woods from thicker boards. It is more labor intensive, but much cheaper. One of the best sources for thin hardwoods is www.ocoochhardwoods.com. They have great prices and great service. For thin plywoods I would recommend Baltic birch. No voids and very strong. Great for scroll sawing. It is available at Woodcraft and www.sloanswoodshop.com. You might also find it at your local hardwood dealer or lumber yard.
Please go to the introduction page and introduce your self so we can welcome you properly!
Dan In Southern California

old wormy

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 08:46:12 pm »
You should also try thinboards.com

Dave W

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 02:24:56 am »
Thanks Dave I was just curious what do you use other than plywood?

I actually almost never use plywood.  I am not crazy about the look, and the smell when I cut it leaves much to be desired :).  I really like working with poplar and walnut when dealing with 1/4". 

king310

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:42:29 pm »
I have a great outlet for my hardwood. It is my locally owned store which I worked at when I was younger 30+ years ago. They carry some of the hardwood that I may use. The save all of their drop off pieces and resale them. I have picked up numerous 1x4x4 an 1x6x4 and longer red oak for pennies. I paid 10 cents each for the 4x4 ;D We also have a local lumber which cuts different hardwoods. I may have to plain them down but you cannot beat the price.

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 10:21:34 pm »
I get my hard wood and BB from our local lumber yard.  They are a little cheaper thatn some of the places like Home depot, WoodCraft, Woodsmith, and so forth.  Just thought I would add my two cenys worth.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 07:26:02 am »
Memphis hardwood, www.memphishardwoodlumber.com is another great supplier for any size lumber.   I buy 1/8" most of my 1/4" and oak ply from them.

SMF

Teknoromi