Author Topic: Sanding Mop Template  (Read 9056 times)

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Sanding Mop Template
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 06:54:05 am »
Rob, I have three 4" and three 6" sanding mops.  100 grit, 180 grit and 220 grit.  I rarely use the 100 grit but the others get used all the time.  I only had a 220 for a long time and still use it more that the others. 

PoppaRob

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 02:30:36 pm »
julief,

Thanks for that info, I seem to use the finer grit myself more than the rough, and I have no ideal how this is going work for me but I ordered 1 roll of the gold cloth backed 6" W and 10 M this morn, shipping and all was right at $47, as I can use it, cut it to size for the use I will need and try, be it 2" wide for this or 4" for my small hand held sander, plus it is cheaper the wider, lol, grit is the same no matter which you want, I hope the cloth holds up but is necessary I think for making the wheels, flexibility, which makes me think that the paper I have, not cloth, might not work if I want a different grit,

I am going to try make a 2", 4" and 6" that will work not only my drill press but other drills and a hand held grinders, one electric and the other is by air compressor, pneumatic I think is the right term,

If you are anyone have info that might aid me in this please do, I am going to use the 2 videos and the site I found for my trials on this,

Poppa Rob, thanks again to all for the topic/post and info you are sharing,

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 08:45:31 am »
I wouldn't make the 2".  I use the 4" in my drill press and the 6" on my Sand Flea.  Once you cut the "fingers" in the ends of the sandpaper - you wont have much left on the 2".  The 4" will work just fine in your hand held drill.  Cut 2" wide strips, drill a 3/8" hole in the center, cut fingers long ways on the end of your strips about an inch long.  I use a 3/8' - 6" long bolt and washers.  I seperate the strips about every  6 or 8 strips with a washer.  Put a nut on the top and bottom with a finish washer.

PoppaRob

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 01:34:50 pm »
LoL,

I had to look up and find a sand flea, lol, did not know about that thing, I will if i do start making alot of this to help keep the dust down in the shop, lol, but my home made dust collector and the cyclone vac system will take care of that i am hoping, well in the scrolling part not needed so much,

So you use the 4" mostly on the drill press, then I should only make that one first and see if I need to make the 6" for my needs, At what speed do you use this at on the DP,

The 2" is for my pneumatic tool/grinder, it will be on a small bolt of say 10/32 and maybe an 1" thick of sand paper, this will be used on cleaning my parts or needs for cars or motorcycle or atv or lawnmower, not woodworking I don't think at this time, I'll be playing around with it all to see what other uses can be made from this as i have found things can be used for other things if one looks,

Poppa Rob, thanks again for the advice and the sand flea info I found out about,

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 06:51:05 am »
The 4" is hard to control on a drill.  I just stand there and bump the pieces in and out of the sanding mop on the drill press.  It is very easy and cuts your sanding time way down.  Gives you a pretty good manicure, too!  My nails are always buffed and smooth.

PoppaRob

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 08:40:53 am »
Cool, then I can get Miss Linda to do the sanding for me some, lol, and she might get them nails down to a short length to where she does not cut people with them, lol, they are like knives at times, for real, lol

Yep just need to make one and go from there, TY again,

Poppa Rob

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 09:03:08 am »
I have made my own sanding mops before. By the time it takes and buying the paper I have just found it easier to buy them already made. Here is where I buy mine. Sears Sanding Mop
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi