Author Topic: 16" scroll saw from Micromark.com  (Read 1884 times)

Jewelry maker

16" scroll saw from Micromark.com
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:06:15 pm »
I'm a jewelry artist and I'm interested in purchasing  Micromark.com's 16" scroll saw #84641 mainly for cutting copper and brass 34 gauge to 18 gauge. I'm in an apt so can't have large tools. Anyone have one and use it for this purpose? How's it working for you? Any tips would be helpful. Don't want to make a buying mistake. Have made to many thus far. Help, please. And maybe info on size of blades as well for each of the gauges mentioned.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: 16" scroll saw from Micromark.com
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:23:36 pm »
Welcome to the forum! I'm Dan from Southern California. Come on in and join the fun!
The saw you ask about is typical of low end 16" scroll saws. The biggest issue is with the adapters that hold a plain end blade. They will be a pain in the rear end if you are doing a lot of inside cuts. Cutting metals will require plain end blades, so the use of the adapters will be required. If not doing a lot of inside cuts, then the saw will probably be ok. For metal cutting blades, contact Mike at www.mikesworkshop.com for metal cutting blades. He will supply you with what you need.
Please post pictures of what you make on the scroll saw!
Please go to the introduction page and introduce yourself so we can welcome you properly!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:31:55 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 06:42:51 am »
I agree with Dan on the saw and on mikes blades,
I would recommend a variable speed scroll saw to have good controle.
the high end scroll saws do have better (induction) engines with more tork on low speed.

most thin metals are easier to cut when sandwichedched between two pieces of 1/8" plywood or mdf.
it doesn't slam that much then.

cant wait to see some stuff you make. do you have a website?
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:11:13 am »
You will really want variable speed for cutting metals, or other small pieces for jewelry making. Also like Dan said plain end blades are a must have. For low-end saws the PorterCable has been reviewed quite highly by different places.

UHMNL

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 12:16:25 pm »
She emailed me and checking on Google for that saw. I was not impressed.
It is very small and wonder if it would take the 5" blades.
She would be better off to get a DeWalt or Excalibur, I would think.
However they might be to big for an aprtment.
Maybe a Hand frame would be better. I think that Advance machinery might have them.
 FD Mike

SMF

Teknoromi