Author Topic: Question for all you Nice Puzzle Makers  (Read 1212 times)

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
Question for all you Nice Puzzle Makers
« on: November 05, 2014, 09:28:24 pm »
Hi All, 
Our garage isn't heated, so I do carving all winter, but thinking ahead to next year.  Have NEVER done a puzzle.  Looking for any & all help/advice.  i.e.
Picture - Do you use glossy paper?  Laminate it?
Thickness of wood?
Blades - What would you recommend?  I now use FD SR 2/0, UR 3 & UR 5.  Never got the hang of, or liked, spiral.
Do you remove pieces as you cut them?

Anything at all would be appreciated.  Now I only do fretwork.  To see samples, click the "Gallery" button on this site.  Look for postings by "jerry1939".  On the first (& maybe 2nd page.)

jerry in Iowa

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Question for all you Nice Puzzle Makers
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 10:34:41 pm »
Jerry I have only done a dozen or so however I have been successful in making the puzzles and not used glossy paper.  In my opinion the difference between the top layer and the bottom layer is too extreme for good puzzle making. I use a good quality paper that you might use for a brochure.  Then I print the picture with a color laser.  If you do not have one then you should be able to go to a Kinkos / Fedex and print there.  One of the other ways is to get an old Calendar and use the pictures from that. 

The board for the puzzles I have made is generally 1/4 thick. There is some board prep that I do generally.  I seal the surface that the puzzle will be going on to with a coat of lacquer, this helps the picture stick to the board.  I have a strong spray adhesive that I put on both the surface that the puzzle goes on and the backside of the picture.  Being real careful put it on the board ensuring that no air bubbles or creases are present.  I generally give it a couple to 4 days to sit and allow all of the solvent to evaporate.  I then start to put light coats of lacquer on the board w/picture until I have put at least 4 coats on.  Then I let that sit an additional 3 - 5 days to harden.  Then the puzzle is ready to cut.  Use a puzzle blade or a #2 or #1 to get a good tight locking puzzle.  You can get the blades from Mikes Workshop - http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm.  Also on Mikes website there is a tutorial on puzzle making by the puzzle master himself, Carter Johnson. Take your time and have fun.

DW

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
Re: Question for all you Nice Puzzle Makers
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:08:14 am »
Jerry, Just looked at some of your work in the Gallery.  Trust me - you will have no problems with puzzles. You do so very nice work. Nice cutting'.

SMF

Teknoromi