Author Topic: Dremel Saw Max?  (Read 2872 times)

Mainewoods

Dremel Saw Max?
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:09:45 pm »
Anyone tried one of these out?  I mostly use my circular saw with a plywood blade in it to cut blanks in BB ply, but was wondering if this saw might be a little easier to use.  My table saw it too bulky to use in my little shed/shop and moving it outdoors in Maine this time of year really isn't an option.  My main concern is the cleanness of the cuts in plywood.  A regular blade can really chew things up of course, but I'm curious how the carbide blade on this would do.  Just wondering, since Santa left me a couple gift certificates.  If you've used one, let me know how you liked it.  Were you happy with the power, ease of use and quality of the cut?  I'll be patiently awaiting your input!   ;D

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Dremel Saw Max?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 11:44:20 pm »
I don't know what the blade size is but my little cordless Makita saw that came with my 12 volt drill does a passable job on plywood. I always flip the wood 'face down' so the rough edge is on the back side and have no complaints.I caught the 2 piece set on a Refurb special at "CPO Makita" last summer for $99.00 with free shipping.

The blade is 3 3/8" dia 20 tooth carbide tipped.

Do a search here for my 'review' of the saw and drill.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 07:03:20 am »
Those are hard to find singular GB.

I can't get a circular saw in that small size here at all - smallest blade size for these is 6.5".
I'm already thinking about buying a new blade for my Japanese Dozuki saw.

Mainewoods

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:18:28 am »
Thanks GB!
I did see your review on the Makita set you got!  The blade sizes are identical (I believe) at 3 3/8".  The main difference is in the fact that the Dremel blade has no real teeth per se.  It is simply coated in carbide fragments, and spins at @17K rpm, causing it to more or less sand its way through the wood.  It just came out in October, so maybe nobody here has it yet.  If I were to be the first, I guess I'd have to post a review here, huh?  Of all the reviews I've read, the only complaints were relative to price, or the fact that it isn't available cordless.  No one had anything bad to say about its performance, or the quality of the cut.  Maybe I should just get one and try it out.  Could always return it if I'm not satisfied.  I just prefer to know a little more before I commit to spending $130.  

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 10:20:43 am »
ah - I see what you're talking about. Those "saws" are available from quite some manufacturers.

Can one get a straight cut with them?

Mainewoods

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 01:55:57 pm »
ah - I see what you're talking about. Those "saws" are available from quite some manufacturers.

Can one get a straight cut with them?

Torsten, I already own a straight guide I use with my circular saw, and in most cases these mini saws can be used with it.  As for the numerous manufacturers, I've checked many of them out.  At this stage, I'm interested in the Dremel partly because of its simplicity.  No special adjustments to make, no fancy blade guards, and from most of the reviews I've read, it's easy to follow a line with.  Handles easily with one hand. 

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 02:04:12 pm »
IF the blade is as you stated and basically 'sands' the line rather than 'cutting' it I would think that cutting that material from the back side would yield a nice clean 'cut'.

That is definitely a situation where I would wear a good face mask due to the fine particles that would be generated.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Mainewoods

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 02:14:43 pm »
I would think that cutting that material from the back side would yield a nice clean 'cut'.

~~~GB~~~

That's why I'm hoping to find someone who's used one and can give me a good idea of how well it 'cuts'.  If it's gonna leave a mess, I'll look for something else.  The whole idea here is something small, easy to use, and effective for cutting blanks from BB ply that won't leave me with chewed up edges to clean up.  My circular saw works, but it's bulky and a PITA to use in the cramped space I work in. 

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 08:34:00 pm »
I just saw the advertisement for the Dremel Saw Max. The blade in the video has no teeth and looks just like the Diamond coated blade I use on my Ceramic (wet) Tile Saw. I just find it hard to believe how good it would cut through wood. I agree it would be nice to hear from someone who has one. They make it look so great.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

qlty

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 08:30:17 am »
I use my 10" band saw for cutting most of my blanks :)

SMF

Teknoromi