Author Topic: Whirligigs-Wind Powered Garden Ornaments  (Read 4405 times)

trevorw

Whirligigs-Wind Powered Garden Ornaments
« on: January 17, 2014, 05:02:48 am »
Hi Steve,

I?ve recently retired and after subscribing to your blog, I?ve ordered my very first scrollsaw.

I needed a hobby and you have convinced me that this is it.

I would like to have a go at making garden wind powered things such as Roadrunner and Donald  Duck etc. Have you by any chance got any patterns for these or any similar projects? I like your You Tube videos.

I hope to hear from you.

Regards

Trevor Woolley (United Kingdom)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Whirligigs-Wind Powered Garden Ornaments
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:51:50 am »
Hi Trevor,

Glad to have you here on the forum.

First, Steve only occasionally visits this forum due to his busy schedule. So I doubt you will see a response from him.

That being said, you will not see any patterns posted of "Roadrunner and Donald  Duck etc." by Steve or anyone else on the forum. Due to trademark/copyrights patterns of the Harley Davidson emblem is a no-no. Disney characters, School mascots, College mascots, NFL, NASCAR, NHL, MLB, NBA and some celebrity images, etc... are all on the forbidden list.  :(

If you can create your own patterns and make one, you can post pictures of the finished project in the Brag Forum.  :)

You can search the internet for Whirligigs, there are patterns out there and there are books on the subject also.

Sorry not trying to rain on your parade but trademark/copyrights patterns are a serious issue here on the forum.

Thanks Russ
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 04:57:27 pm »
Trevor, you might like to watch this video by Steve Ramsey at "Woodworking for Mere Mortals". shows how to make one and he includes the plans if you want to download them. It will give you the basic idea and you could substitute any figure for the top. Hope this helps.
Pete

http://www.woodworkingformeremortals.com/2012/06/whirligig-and-contest-winners.html
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:55:52 pm »
Trevor, there are many whirligig plans out there, Just type wooden whirligigs in your search option on your browser and you will find many sites to choose from. Some are free and others are for purchase. You can choose between animated,action or bird types. I have made over 100 whirligigs and they remain my favorite things to make.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 06:25:06 pm »
trevor-it might be fun to start a series of whirligig designs to post here. Did you have one in mind as a starter? I'd be happy to work on it with you.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 09:39:53 am »
 Miesel Hardward and cherry tree toys have them, I ordered from them before, and they have the parts to go with them.  Hope this helps.  edward

SMF

Teknoromi