Author Topic: Where to buy wood online  (Read 1922 times)

lpoandl

Where to buy wood online
« on: January 10, 2014, 07:39:28 pm »
Can anyone give me some websites where I can purchase wood. I have used my local Lowe's and I am so tired of getting warped wood that bounces around on my scroll saw table. For simple patterns it is ok but for the delicate ones it just does not work. I know Steve mentioned one in one of his videos and I for the life of me can not find the one I was watching and misplaced the paper :( Thank you for any help you can offer.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Re: Where to buy wood online
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:20:31 pm »
I purchase from two online vendors: Sloan's Woodshop and Ocooch Hardwoods. Both offer a wide variety and offer great service.

Tony,aka,Toneman

lpoandl

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 09:18:10 am »
Thank you Tony! I will check them out.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:33:21 pm »
I bought from Ocooch last  year at a scrollsaw meet in Iowa.  OK but it was like a lumberyard, you had to do some sorting to find pieces you wanted to buy.

Have been buying from Sloans   http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/default.htm  However, last fall I ordered 1/8" Baltic birch.  Their site at the time (it changes) showed a plywood core.  They shipped a MDF core.  I called them that they had an error on their site.  The gal got slightly snippy and said they only had plywood core.  It's possible that it was a 1 time hiccup. 

Will order from them again Monday, but will visit with them first,  It looks like if I order in mm instead of fractions, I SHOULD be OK.  Delivery to your door is very prompt.

jerry

Malistar22

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 01:26:52 pm »
There is a local Woodcraft store here in town as well as their online presence. Has anyone used them? I noticed this week they have 1/2" x 12" x 12" BB for $1.99. Their 1/8" x 12" x 12" is $1.59 a piece.

Anyone out there have an opinion of Woodcraft?

Becky

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 12:11:57 am »
My local Woodcraft no longer has any sort of decent selection of thin wood.  I have been buying from Ocooch over the past year and have been very pleased with them.  I've only had one bad board from them and when I called, they replaced it.  I have spent a lot of money there since!  Even when the Woodcraft did have thin wood, you never knew what you might find when you got there (and it's a 20 mile drive for me).  It is nice to be able to just go online and specify a width, thickness and species and find it on your porch a few days later.  I do try to buy in bulk to save on shipping.

This post refers to hardwood, not ply.  I don't use much plywood generally.

SMF

Teknoromi