Author Topic: New to scrolling  (Read 1043 times)

Offline mamell

• View Profile
New to scrolling
« on: November 23, 2015, 10:34:23 am »
Good morning  (assuming it's morning for you) . I'm new to scrolling myself and using a used Dremel 1672 and the learning curve seems a bit steep and I've had to make modifications especially with the blade adapters. The allen screws were just one so I use a Phillips screw, but even that never seems to tighten enough.  My hands shake a tad too much for the Allen screws and can't get enough torque. The Phillips works better.
The real problem I'm running across is threading the fine blades into tiny holes and the guard foot gets in the way. I guess I'm just used to using a sledge hammer to crack eggs. My background is auto body work so brute force usually worked for me. ;)
Perhaps I'm doing things in the wrong order. What order do most of you use when threading blades into tiny holes? If I secure the blade into the bottom adapter first I run into the problem of the blade binding when trying to catch the top adapter and if I reverse the process I run into not being able to thread into the bottom adapter in the limited space under the table surface.  Of course the guard foot gets in the way. I'd like to modify the foot to make it easily removable. 
Maybe I just need a little more patience.
I read the thread on the blower bellow and yes, mine is also about as useless as a sledge hammer in brain surgery so I'm thinking of using a spare air tank for that problem.
I'll keep plugging away here. I've got more time now days than money.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Re: New to scrolling
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:21:21 pm »
Hi and welcome to the site.  My solution for the hold-down tool on top, as well as the blade guard under the table is just to remove them.  The problem with the blade clamps sounds like they've been tightened too much in the past and need replacing.  You really don't need much pressure to tighten the blade, if the clamps are in good shape.

Stick around here and you'll learn plenty about this hobby.
Nancy from Washington state
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline mamell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 06:41:00 pm »
Hi Nancy and thanks. The hold down foot does seem to just get in the way and I did some small cutouts so the guard or plate just let the pieces fall away which is nice.  The adapters are new. I purchased them directly from dremel. I'm guessing I might have had the blade tension too tight, but I've only broken one very thin blade so far. I did discover that I had the lower adapter in the wrong place clamped under the two prongs so my handy dandy screwdriver solved that issue and the blades run true now instead of wobbling all over tarnation. I just wish the parts weren't so tiny with the undying desire to fly under all the junk I have all over the place. My girlfriend is borderline hoarder so it's a daily battle of moving her junk to replace it with my junk. ;)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 06:08:59 am »
OK first - throw the hold down foot away.  I don't know of anybody that has found a use for it.  My first saw was a Dremel.  You pretty much have to be a bottom feeder with that saw.  It just takes a little practice to get used to tipping the work piece to get the blade through from the underside.  When I feed from the bottom, I use a little flash light shined up through the hole in the table to help me see.  As far as the blower, many have used aquarium pumps to fix that little problem.  Brute force will not help one bit with this hobby.  Get used to a light hand and relax.  All it takes is a little practice.  Enjoy.

SMF

Teknoromi