Author Topic: Excaliber question  (Read 2644 times)

Offline JimInNM

• We're from NM
    • View Profile
Excaliber question
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:24:45 pm »
I bought a used 30" that looked almost new and I have made 8 projects with it. It seems to cut/wonder from side to side and cut thick (3/4) hardwood at an angle. I am new to all this but think the blade tension is correct and for sure the blade is square with the table. When looking at the blade just running with no cutting it appears to wobble. I saw on one of the posts that you could turn/rotate the motor a bit and this would eliminate the wobble. My saw is an original Canada model and the motor doesn't rotate.
The question is how do you know if the saw needs a professional tune-up and who would do it? I have nothing to compare this saw with so don't know what it needs if anything. I just think a saw brand of this quality would do a much better job even with a newby at the wheel.
Plain and simple, I'm just lost and don't know what to do or try and will appreciate any guidance. I really like woodworking and scroll sawing but the frustration level is a bit high right now.
JimInNM

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Excaliber question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:58:51 am »
Jim, your saw may need to be adjusted to cut properly.  You may find a solution at Rick's scrollsaw site http://www.scrollsaws.com/.  Look for the Excalibur tuneup link on the left side of the page.  In the menu, there are other links to squaring the blade to the table and hints on cutting techniques - all worth reading for beginners like us.

I hope this can get you started.  Steve Good http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.ca/ and Sheila Landry http://lumberjocks.com/scrollgirl/blog/24198 have tutorials on scroll sawing.

This forum has lots of good advice on various topics.  When I joined the forum, I spent a lot of time reading old posts and learned much - but I'm still trying to put what I learned into practice.   :)

Best of luck with you new hobby, it is addictive.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 07:20:39 am »
Ray at Seyco can talk you through any repair.  He's a great guy.  It may be that the set screws that hold your blade in are not centered.  Take a look between the opening for the blade and see if there is an equal distance between the set screws.  As far as turning the motor,  there should be bolts around the motor - just loosen them and give a slight twist.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:09:25 am »
Jim check this out it helped me get my Excalibur straighten up.
http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/articles/excalibur-tuning

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline JimInNM

• We're from NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:26:46 am »
Thanks to all for the advice and tips. I will now work my way through them and let you know how I made out. Again thanks for giving me a good starting point.  Jim
JimInNM

Offline JimInNM

• We're from NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 12:47:43 am »
The blade screws were not in the middle, top was far left and bottom was close to far right. This appears to solve my problem with cutting at an angle. Simple if you know what to do! The wobble problem is still there but not near as bad now. One member suggested turning the motor but on my saw there are four bolts that hold the motor to the frame and no way to adjust or turn the motor??
Thanks for the links to sites that help newbees like me and thanks a ton to the members that responded..........Jim
JimInNM

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 07:46:53 am »
If you loosen the bolts on the motor, there is enough slop in the bolt holes to rotate it just a bit.  It won't take much.

SMF

Teknoromi