Author Topic: Breaking blades  (Read 9507 times)

UHMNL

Re: Breaking blades
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 03:41:31 pm »
dheaton, please send me an email, with phone number.
mike@mikesworkshop.com. I could not answer you in what you sent.
Mike

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 04:31:21 pm »
tip don't use your scroll saw and won't you be breaking blades  :P

Use the software that steve good got on his website to tune in the blades...

have fun.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

dheaton

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 06:45:32 pm »
tip don't use your scroll saw and won't you be breaking blades  :P

Use the software that steve good got on his website to tune in the blades...

have fun.

Hmmm I never thought about that.   Too funny.

Kragax

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 07:39:17 pm »
Well I jinxed myself after bragging about seldom breaking blades, I broke five this afternoon

dheaton

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 09:39:59 am »
Well I jinxed myself after bragging about seldom breaking blades, I broke five this afternoon

See, there ya go.

Graywolf

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 05:05:46 pm »
I use Flying Dutchman blades exclusively and have had no problem with premature breakage. I usually wear them out to the point of breakage or I just give up and change the blade because it's too dull.

I think most people starting out have a tendency to push too hard and too fast starting out. That along with too much tension will cause breakage.  8)

I agree with this. I change to FD blades a year or so ago, they made a world of difference. My favorite is the FD UR #5. I use it on all sizes of material. The thicker the material the slower I feed. The inside tight corners are the hardest, but I am getting better with them.
Take your time, don't hurry. I ordered more blades today. Along with the FD #5's. I ordered the Spiral #5 with the flat ends. I WILL LEARN TO USE SPIRALS!!!!!!

dheaton

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 06:11:22 pm »
I do'nt seem to get any response from Dan about his blades.  He commented once in here saying he did not see my email and to email him again.  I did but still no response.  How are you guys ordering these?

I use Flying Dutchman blades exclusively and have had no problem with premature breakage. I usually wear them out to the point of breakage or I just give up and change the blade because it's too dull.

I think most people starting out have a tendency to push too hard and too fast starting out. That along with too much tension will cause breakage.  8)

I agree with this. I change to FD blades a year or so ago, they made a world of difference. My favorite is the FD UR #5. I use it on all sizes of material. The thicker the material the slower I feed. The inside tight corners are the hardest, but I am getting better with them.
Take your time, don't hurry. I ordered more blades today. Along with the FD #5's. I ordered the Spiral #5 with the flat ends. I WILL LEARN TO USE SPIRALS!!!!!!

pddesertrat

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 06:39:47 pm »
Try Mike at Mike's Workshop.  https://www.mikesworkshop.com/

Email: Mike@mikesworkshop.com

dheaton

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 07:18:26 pm »
Ya, I meant Mike.  I type with an accent, didnt' you hear it? haha

Try Mike at Mike's Workshop.  https://www.mikesworkshop.com/

Email: Mike@mikesworkshop.com

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 08:46:14 pm »
@ dheaton, you can call Mike to place an order and for information. 1-605-582-6732.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Phil Malavolta

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 08:46:53 am »
I have and RBI 26" Scrollsaw and have found a couple of things that I do.  When I go to insert a new blade, I sand the flat ends of the blade to make sure they are clean.  Also if I notice a blade popping out of the holder.  I will take the blade holder screws out and run a file over them.  I think over time of tightening, the face gets to be a little work hardened.  I've had my saw for over 19 years.  Love the Flying Dutchman Blades.
Phil

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 01:03:24 pm »
I have a video about blades breaking. If you're interested, it can be found at the following link  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzxHw-Kat2U

Bob

dheaton

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 03:27:21 pm »
Thank you I am going there now.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 08:07:26 pm »
is it possible a clamp is slipping? An end coming loose while the saw is running will cause the blade to kink and then will break soon after. Also look for overheating of the blade. Getting too hot will weaken it. Heating can be a problem if you side-load the blade (push sideways to try to keep going straight). Note the blades will cut a slanted line if you don't compensate. You should compensate by angling the board rather than pushing it sideways.

With #5 blades you should not have a problem with sharp turns unless you're cutting thick and hard wood.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 07:48:12 pm »
When I first started I broke alot of blades one reason was I pushed to hard thinking it was like any other powered saw, once I learned to let up on my pressure the blades stopped breaking so much, I also found when you push too hard you bow the blade which will weaken it as well as adds alot of heat to the blade which once you get these baldes hot they will snap like tootpicks pretty fast. Once I got this down I hardly ever break a blade, if I think the blade is dull or not cutting like I want I toss it, they are cheap, I also watch the bottom of my work peice if I am getting alot of fuzzies or tear out change blades.

I love flying dutchman blades, in fact I have two types I use the scroll reverse for stuff thinner than 1/2 inch, if thick wood I like using the ultra reverse has teeth facing both directions helps cut better.

SMF

Teknoromi