Author Topic: Anybody sawing their own lumber?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
Anybody sawing their own lumber?
« on: August 26, 2014, 08:24:44 pm »
Just wondering how many here saw their own lumber? I'm using an Alaskan Mill and my beat up chainsaw and my beat up back are ready to move up. Any suggestions?
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
Re: Anybody sawing their own lumber?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:51:09 pm »
I wish there was a cheap and easy way to do it. The most I've done was rough cut slabs with my chainsaw and then run them through my planer. Not easy though and I'm limited to 12" on my planer.

It's a great topic though. Looking forward to responses.

Question, when you cut with your Alaskan Mill, what do you do to keep the wood from checking and cracking while it dries?

Ray

slayer

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:35:03 am »
I have been thinking about getting a Alaskan mill for my saw I have a husky 455 with a 20 inch bar. I can get a lot of small logs from log landings and some knots and burls. I was just wondering if the mills do a good job for small amounts of lumber

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:46:32 am »
Just on the band saw. It's able to get usable scroll saw wood from larger branches, but it's not a saw mill.

My neighbor has a horizontal band saw saw mill and will cut for $0.15/bdft. I dragged some cherry logs down there this Spring and had him cut 2" think slabs for outdoor benches. We left the live edge on them.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 07:24:20 pm »

Question, when you cut with your Alaskan Mill, what do you do to keep the wood from checking and cracking while it dries?

Ray

I don't do anything, just let it dry and work around the cracks when I use it. Most of my projects are small to medium size so the cracks are much of an issue.

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 07:28:27 pm »
Have the fixture from stockroom supply can't cut any thing over 2 ft long works good for scroll wood

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 07:42:06 pm »
I have been thinking about getting a Alaskan mill for my saw I have a husky 455 with a 20 inch bar. I can get a lot of small logs from log landings and some knots and burls. I was just wondering if the mills do a good job for small amounts of lumber

I've got an old Homelite Super XL and it works OK, the main thing is to keep the chain sharp. Another thing to make it easier is to get the logs off the ground, much easier on the back and easier to do any measuring. Here is the set up I've been using.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:44:28 pm by scotti158 »

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 07:51:36 pm »
I did like you said, i try some kind of vinegar wood, birch and, the one i prefer is tillia Americana.
Because it easy to dry.
Pierre

SMF

Teknoromi