Author Topic: Glue then stain?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline hayu

• View Profile
Glue then stain?
« on: July 10, 2018, 06:42:19 pm »
I been working on this Mill Clock for 2 years now. I am to the point that I can start gluing and staining on some things. So do I glue then stain or stain then glue. The pattern has braces you glue to, thank heaven. This project has sometimes made me kick the saw dust bag. I learned its better to kick that, then the trash can full of scrap wood.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Glue then stain?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 12:17:01 pm »
You can do it either way BUT, just make sure you don't get stain where the glue needs to go AND don't get glue where you want the stain.
You can cover the glue joints with blue tape and then be able to stain every surface first. Then remove the tape when it is glue time.
Or you can cover the stain areas right next to where the glue goes and do your glue up and NOT get it where the stain will go.
It seems that glue doesn't like to stick to any painted, oiled or stained surface. And likewise stain especially wont cover glue in the pores  of wood.
Hope that gives you some ideas. :)
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline hayu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 03:19:07 pm »
Yes it does. Thank You

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 08:21:23 am »
I have used watered down acrylic paints as a wash coat then glued with reasonable results. No stain on glue up areas is the best way to go of course getting a layer of squeeze out glue on an area to be finished has turned many of my classy AAPlus masterpieces to a C Double Minus rating.

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 01:18:43 pm »
I have used watered down acrylic paints as a wash coat then glued with reasonable results. No stain on glue up areas is the best way to go of course getting a layer of squeeze out glue on an area to be finished has turned many of my classy AAPlus masterpieces to a C Double Minus rating.

Amen to that Norm!!!
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline WynnD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 04:52:11 pm »
Another thought or consideration.  If you stain then use the tightbond transparent glue if you do have squeeze out you will not see the glue joint since you can see right through it

Offline hayu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 06:52:06 pm »
Thanks y'all. This is my first kick the scroll saw kick the saw dust pile 5x, go settle down and do something else for a bit. I thought cutting was going to be a pain. Now I know it is easier then glue up. I want to enter it in the fair and donate it to one of the kids hospitals. To be determined by flipping a coin. Only 2.

SMF

Teknoromi