Author Topic: Planing Boards  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Dave Spitz

• View Profile
Planing Boards
« on: December 12, 2016, 10:24:49 pm »
Steve or Anyone....

Wondering if anyone is having the same problem I am having with planing down perfectly flat 3/4" boards to 1/4 or 1/2" and having them warp after?   I am having it happen to soft woods like pine and even oak boards.  My neighbor has a great planer (very old) and is willing to plane anything I need for my scrolling projects, but almost always the boards warp.   

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Re: Planing Boards
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:04:08 am »
Hi Dave,

This is a very common problem.  I find that the wider the board, the more it likes to warp. Not only are you making the wood thinner and easier to warp, but any time you cut a piece of wood, you release stress in the wood and movement can happen.  Not to mention that your neighbor's shop probably has different conditions as far as heat and humidity.

Quarter sawn wood tends to not warp as badly as flat sawn, but also doesn't show the nice grains as well, so there's a trade-off there. 

You can try adding some weight to the wood until it has time to re-adjust to it's new "home" and thickness, but it still may warp.  Just part of the fun of working with wood.
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline Dave Spitz

• View Profile
Re: Planing Boards
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 10:23:52 pm »
Hey Wooden Lace

Thanks for the reply.   I'm going to start buy my wood online.   Steve has mentioned a couple of places that are reliable.   I really enjoy
his website.

Thanks again

Spitz

SMF

Teknoromi