Author Topic: 2 inch thick poplar  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
2 inch thick poplar
« on: November 23, 2016, 05:09:29 pm »
I am cutting a pattern out of 2 inch thick poplar and this is a new experience for me. I am using a 12 blade but not getting good results. Appreciate any suggestions re blade size speed etc. Thank you.
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
Re: 2 inch thick poplar
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 05:42:52 pm »
I have cut 1 1/2" poplar, but not 2".  Feed rate must be VERY slow and slow saw speed also.  I use a #5 polar blade.  I tried using a Heavy duty Flying Dutchman blade and found it to cut slower and broke just as easy as a #5.  #7 also works.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 07:56:05 pm »
I am currently cutting birdhouses out of 1 1/2 maple (hard) and I run my ex-21 a little less than half and as Jim says feed rate slow.

I am using #5 flying Dutchman Ultra reverse.

The first one I did I did not wrap in packing tape and I got some burn marks. I now wrap in packing tape and all is good.  Just 40 more to go

Don

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 06:21:17 am »
I've never had any luck with the bigger blades.  I would back up my blade size to a #7 or even a #5 and, like everyone else has said, very slow feed.

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 10:14:49 am »
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I am going to give the advice a try.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 07:56:52 am »
I have cut wood that thick and find that using a flat blade can be very tricky and slow.  I would not use a reverse tooth blade as you need to keep the kerf clear as possible.  Use a skip tooth blade.  I generally use a spiral blade for cutting that thick, however most of what I am cutting out of that thick of wood are lids to boxes.  In any case it will take practice to get consistently good cuts in wood that thick.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 07:47:17 pm »
Tried the spiral blade today and liked the result. Thanks DW for the suggestion.

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 10:39:21 pm »
I've cut several ornaments recently from 2" poplar and had good results with FD-UR #9 blades.  They don't cut fast but, considering the thickness of the stock, they cut reasonably fast.  I use a RBI Hawk saw at nearly full speed.  Full speed produce a little burning but, by lowering the speed just a little, burning is minimal and sands off easily with a sanding mop.

SMF

Teknoromi