Author Topic: belt/disc sander purchase  (Read 6300 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
belt/disc sander purchase
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:44:36 pm »
I'm planning to buy a belt/disc sander soon, any suggestions?  OK now with a limit of $100 - $200. I'd really like a bench top to save money and a disc of over 6". I've looked a bit and haven't heard good reviews of Harbor Freight or the ones Woodcraft offer but am open to suggestions. 

Thanks Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: belt/disc sander purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:08:57 pm »
Hey Pete, Which one at Woodcraft are you talking about? I have heard good things about the Ricon, Which is sold at Woodcraft. It is a 6x belt 48 and a 10" Disk. But it goes for $420. They also have a 4x36 with a 6" disk for $139, but I don't know about that one. For the price range, You wont find anything great.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:20:47 pm »
Craigslist...may be your only option in that range for a good one.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

jason03151980

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 11:41:33 pm »
lowes has a PORTER-CABLE 4" x 8" Bench Belt/Disc Sander the 8 intch is the disc  it cost 159 

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 01:12:42 am »
I agree with GB.  Look around on Craigslist or take advantage of claz.org (similar to Craigslist but includes all free online classifieds and you can create a search and then have it email the results to you daily).  There are a lot of old Craftsman and other stationairy 6X48 bets sanders with 0 pr 10 inch discs attached that can be bought reasonably and will outlast and outperform a smaller benchtop.  My shop is crammed for space, but I wouldn't part with my old sander.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 06:52:51 am »
I have the Rikon 6 X 48 with the 10" disc.  I bought it used and love it.

joey65746

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 06:57:02 am »
grizzly has some great sanders that is what i use is the 6x48 with the disc  on the side

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 07:31:13 am »
At that price range you are limited as to what you can buy new. I had a Craftsman 4x36 with a 6" disk that lasted me over 15 years. Used or recondition may be your only choice for an upgrade.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 12:55:36 pm »
Hey Pete, Which one at Woodcraft are you talking about? I have heard good things about the Ricon, Which is sold at Woodcraft. It is a 6x belt 48 and a 10" Disk. But it goes for $420. They also have a 4x36 with a 6" disk for $139, but I don't know about that one. For the price range, You wont find anything great.
It was the smaller one that I had heard wasn't too good but realize at my price I will have to settle for less than the best.
Thanks all for the help, I've looked on C-list and didn't find anything but will keep looking.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 01:06:43 pm »
I agree with GB.  Look around on Craigslist or take advantage of claz.org (similar to Craigslist but includes all free online classifieds and you can create a search and then have it email the results to you daily).  There are a lot of old Craftsman and other stationairy 6X48 bets sanders with 0 pr 10 inch discs attached that can be bought reasonably and will outlast and outperform a smaller benchtop.  My shop is crammed for space, but I wouldn't part with my old sander.
Thanks Bill, had never heard of that site b/4, nice place!

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 09:53:45 pm »
..........I have the harbor freight 6"x48" x9" sander and like it.  I did not even intall the 9" disc. part (No use for them) I have had it over a year now and use it a lot!  It is the most used equipment in my shop.  I paid $169 for it.  I think it is $200 now.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 10:30:57 pm »
I bought mine at sears, which is a craftman, anf I really like it. 

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

peterjf50

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 08:34:28 am »
Looking at the Ridgid spindle sander, use either spindle or belt, seems like a good compromise

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 09:22:22 am »
The Rigid gets a lot of reviews.  I suggest you look harder at your main purpose.  If curved edge sanding is your strongest need, get the spindle sander, but if belt sanding is your biggest need (especially for material removal) get a larger belt sander.  Even the belt sander on the Rigid is intended more for edge and small piece sanding.  Personally I use my drill press as a spindle sander and found an attachment which makes the spindle oscillate.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Northerner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 12:55:49 pm »
dont forget about Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=sander

they have a lot of different types and sizes and prices.
I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

SMF

Teknoromi