Author Topic: christmas ornaments  (Read 3824 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
christmas ornaments
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:04:55 pm »
I have a few plans for ornaments that I would like to try, never tried them before, 1/8in or 1/4in, how many at a time and blade size, thanks
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: christmas ornaments
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:54:56 pm »
Hey yguy, It depends on what size wood you have on hand. If you are using 1/8" Baltic birch plywood, you can go three or four layers. If your using 1/4" hardwood you can go two or three layers, but don't go any thicker than 3/4". As for blades I would go with 2/0R or 2R or FD-UR 1. As for what kind of wood, Well I like to use all kinds, Red Oak, Walnut, Cherry, Maple, and my favorite, Mahogany.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:07:52 pm »
Such a vague question. First, what kind of wood are you thinking about using or what kind of wood do you have?  ???
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:09:41 pm by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:56:23 pm »
I have some 1/8 in walnut and 1/4 in oak for starters, you wouldn't want to use any thicker right?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:09:28 pm »
Well you can if you want, but they look better in 1/8" or 1/4".  Just understand that if using 1/8" solid hardwoods they tend to get very fragile. for me, 1/4" hardwood is ideal.
Dan In Southern California

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 07:12:06 am »
Ornaments tend to show up better on the tree if they are cut from a lighter wood.  The walnut will blend in with the dark green of a tree where the lighter stands out.  Save your walnut for something else.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 07:57:50 am »
For Sheila Landry's ornaments I used 1/8 inch baltic birch and stack cut six at a time using spiral blades.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 11:41:59 am »
Thanks, with the heat here it may be next week b/4 I can try it, too hot in my shop.

Marshall

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 06:04:13 am »
I'm a cool weather scroller myself , I myself love using the 1/4" Walnut . Ornaments made from this choice of wood is an added touch of pride . I have cut 5 at a time with this 1/4" material , but start ing out I would just try three at a time until you can control the saw better . I have made a lot of the ornaments from BB plywood and it does cut easier , I just love the way the Walnut looks finished . I mill up most of my own material from the saw-mill and air dry it - have a nice stock-pill build up also . And I also use the 2 or smaller Flying Dutchman blades , cannot beat them - I've tryed just about every blade on the market and none measure up to the Flying Dutchman blades , and no I'm no saleman either for Flying Dutchman blades ......my two cents worth.............Marshall

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 09:36:32 am »
I just rec'd some 1/8" maple I am going to try for 'ormanents' (grandaughter's word).
But not until I can saw without leaving puddles of sweat on the saw table!
100 deg. yesterday and headed that way today!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 09:23:07 pm »
I tried some today, seemed to go better with a spiral blade, just had some problems with adjusting the blades fit and tension, my spirals are #2, everything else is #5 or larger so will have to get some smaller blades to have a good comparison, I'm an hr. drive to the nearest blades so will work with spirals for a little while

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 05:46:39 pm »
Order your blades from Flying Dutchman (Mike). He mails them and you will have them in a couple days.
Here is the link
http://mikesworkshop.com

boxmaker

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 07:43:55 pm »
Definitely order the flying dutchmans, they are better blades than what you can get in the store and a lot better price. Mike ships them out fast also.

Mark

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 08:49:47 pm »
why do i think this is so basic i shouldn't ask...but what do you use to hold the pieces together when stack cutting, I find a spot that I will cut last and drive a nail into it, though after a couple problems like trying to get the nail out!!! and breaking the piece,maybe i'll use a screw :-[

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 08:53:03 pm »
I wrap mine with the Blue Painter's Tape (for delicate surfaces) and I know some folks run a bead of 'hotmelt' glue up the sides to hold the stack together.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi