Author Topic: branding irons  (Read 2629 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
branding irons
« on: June 16, 2014, 08:25:42 am »
Does anyone have ideas on the best/cheapest for our woodworking?  I see they are quite pricy but I'm thinking of getting one to have a permanent marker on my projects.  Thanks Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

rochar3

Re: branding irons
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:59:03 am »
Rockler has them
Bob

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:17:17 am »
I've looked at them and no matter where I look, they are pretty much the same price.  One problem I see with them is,  you can't change the size and different projects need different size "signature".  I have gone to making a decal on my computer, so I can vary the size, vary font, vary the script, vary the completion date, etc.  I attach the decal and spray over it with lacquer, Poly, or something to protect it.

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:33:46 pm »
I have started using a craft wood burning set to sign and date my work.   They are less than $20.00 at most craft stores or on line at Amazon.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 04:43:30 pm »
I bought mine from Woodcraft. It cost a little over $100 for a gas-heated one. Electric was quite a bit more. I also got a cheap propane torch like you'd use to solder copper pipe. 2 minutes of the torch and it's ready to make 3-4 brands. I like it and get good response, but it is too big for some of our smaller projects.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 06:30:44 pm »
I don't always do it but, in the past, I have written on a piece with a pencil and then used a vibrating engraver to trace over it for a permanent marking.
I have an old cheap engraver that I've had for years and if you retrace the grove with the pencil after the fact, it looks like a brand  (kind of) and the finish won't smear it either.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 10:37:25 am »
Rockler is running a sale on these right now!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ChuckD

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 09:59:26 pm »
I use a ink stamp, which works fine for me.  Lot less money too.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 12:19:27 am »
I have had an electric iron for over a year now and use it often.  I have to admit that most of my projects are larger than a simple scrolling project however.  It's hard to beat the consistency and convenience of the electric units.  Another option is to locate someone with a laser engraver and hire them to engrave a batch of wooden coins (for lack of a better term).  Then you can inlay those with a forstner bit and perhaps inlay a shiny penny from the current year on the back of the project as well.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 09:02:36 am »
Thanks all, still confused but now I have your wise experience to put into the mix.   :-\    Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 07:40:35 pm »
I ordered from Rockler. They have a supplier that makes the piece. after allowing about two months I called and found out that the supplier had screwed up on the order and it was never shipped back to rockler and Rockler never followed up on the order. It was a mess. about two weeks later I received two, one of which I returned fearing I would have to pay for it. And that is my story about branding irons :( :( :-\
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 12:48:19 pm »
I use an electric iron I ordered from Terry Desilets.  You have a lot of ability to customize your message with Terry.  I did

Done by Doug
Live Long & Prosper

His web site is:

http://www.branding-irons.biz/
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

SMF

Teknoromi