Author Topic: Magnifying Lamp  (Read 1632 times)

pddesertrat

Magnifying Lamp
« on: June 17, 2014, 02:08:05 pm »
Okay after reading recommendation here and looking around, yesterday I wen to my local Harbor Freight and bought their magnifying lamp (it was on sale, I never get that lucky).  I bought the with the flip up cover that covers the lens.  I notice that there is nothing to keep the lens open when you are using the magnifier.  My scroll saw stand is slanted and I also slant the light so the cover will not stay up.  I'm sure other having this light have that experience.  I'm wondering how you corrected it.  I'm sure I can think of some kind of a holder, but just curious what others have done.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: Magnifying Lamp
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:10:21 pm »
I just made a small thin copper wire tie back, not perfect but ok.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 12:31:02 pm »
I have that HF unit, and don't have any trouble keeping the lens cover up.  I just push a bit harder when I open it, and there is sort of a click, allowing it to open a bit further and to stay open.  I just looked at mine, and there is a small molded bar that causes that first stop, and when I push harder that goes under the plastic stop from above.  If you have that bar, and it's too high to go under, then try sanding it down a bit so it can. 

Also, I had difficulty gripping the short tab at the front of the cover to open it, so I just put a piece of clear tape on it, going from the back, making a "U", and then fastened to the front of the existing tab.  It's longer than needed, so it leaves about 1/2" above the tab.  Strong enough and easy to grip.

Maybe yours is different, but this works great for me.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

pddesertrat

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 01:33:31 pm »
I got ripped, no such bar on mine!  Well, a little piece of wire will take care of it.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 09:49:36 pm »
I have that same lamp and within a few seconds of turning it on and flipping that cover open I took it off, to me its worthless since I am looking down from the top of the lamp rather than needing it for extra light so I removed it to get it out of the way.

I did buy another for my wife at her desk when she crafts to have extra light and also the magnifier, most times she keeps her cover closed but its nice to have inside when I need to see something small.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 12:23:47 am »
If the unit you guys are discussing has the circular fluorescent tube, I kept breaking them on my saw arm when a blade broke, so I bought a piece of clear plastic and made a doughnut to tape over the bottom of the unit.  No more breaking bulbs!  I just tape it in place with duct tape.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi