Author Topic: warping wood with plaques  (Read 1397 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
warping wood with plaques
« on: March 13, 2014, 11:03:58 pm »
I seem to have a problem with warping when I make a plaque mostly when I use 1/2" walnut.  Is this a problem for everyone or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: warping wood with plaques
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:20:26 am »
I would never guess that warping would be a problem with 1/2" walnut.
Are you sure the wood has had time to cure?
Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 05:44:50 am »
I find that oak does that often for me, but it is difficult to control.  We sometimes forget that wood is porous and 'breaths' and the environment around us can affect it tremendously.  I used to have an antique Singer sewing machine that was my grandmothers, and every summer the top panel warped. Each winter however, it would dry out and be flat as a pancake.  I know now that if I sealed it properly in the winter, it may have helped prevent the summer warping.  (I lived in the Chicago area then, where the summer months were very humid)

Perhaps you need to seal things better.  I realize this is hard with fretwork because of so much open end grain.  Maybe using oil and letting it absorb would help block the pores from pulling in additional moisture.  I like to oil my fretwork pieces, wait a couple of days until it is absorbed, and then spray with shellac. While it may not help the pieces you already have, it may help in the future. 

I hope this idea helps a bit. 

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 09:57:07 am »
If you leave wood laying flat on a tabletop for an extended time, it tends to warp faster due to the humidity in the air getting to the top surface and not the bottom. If you lay small strips of wood under it (called "stickers") it will allow the air to circulate to both sides and will help them stay flat.
Also, if you stand it on edge vertically it might help.
If you are storing your cuttings for a show or sale or something you might consider storing them in a book rack or something similar. If you have them laying on top of each other, the top one may warp but, most of the others in the stack will stay fairly flat due to the lack of exposure to the humidity.
WOOD MOVES and controlling it is impossible at best.

Rog

PS If you have a warped piece and want to TRY flattening it out, turn it over on you table for a day or two and see if that helps and if it does, store it as I recommended above afterwards.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi