Author Topic: Taking a cruise, need your ideas  (Read 3401 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
Taking a cruise, need your ideas
« on: October 03, 2013, 09:13:28 am »
Wife and I are taking a cruise in about a month, it's a Disney cruise.  Problem is the group we are going with exchange little mementos like party favors and I'd like to do a simple key chain or something similar.  My problem is I need about 45 for kids and 45 for adults.  Even stack cutting that's a lot.  A Disney themed item would be nice but realize I can't ask for that, anyone have any ideas?

Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Taking a cruise, need your ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 09:30:07 am »
Pete,  The keychain idea may be your best bet.  How are your simple painting skills?  If you cut the iconic mickey symbol of 3 circles forming the face, or a skull and crossbones from Pirates of the Caribbean out of thin plywood, you could just paint Mickey black and use black & white on the skull.  Stack cutting a simple outline wouldn't take a lot of time.  Drill a hole in an appropriate location for the chain.  I may be wrong, but I don't believe you can get in trouble for something like that if it is just given as a gift and not exchanged for any value.

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if you couldn't purchase stickers or decals that could be adhered to a simple cutout to reduce painting time?
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 10:30:14 am »
Pete,  The keychain idea may be your best bet.  How are your simple painting skills?  If you cut the iconic mickey symbol of 3 circles forming the face, or a skull and crossbones from Pirates of the Caribbean out of thin plywood, you could just paint Mickey black and use black & white on the skull.  Stack cutting a simple outline wouldn't take a lot of time.  Drill a hole in an appropriate location for the chain.  I may be wrong, but I don't believe you can get in trouble for something like that if it is just given as a gift and not exchanged for any value.

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if you couldn't purchase stickers or decals that could be adhered to a simple cutout to reduce painting time?
Thanks, I'm also thinking of bookmarks, how many 1/16' pieces (if I go with bookmarkers)do you think I could cut at a time?

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 01:30:20 pm »
I did some bookmarks using glue-on oak veneer, stuck back-to-back. The glue layer gives it a little flex so it's less likely to split. The finished bookmark was 0.050" thick. I cut 8 in a stack.

If you hold them tight and the detail is not great you should be able to cut about an inch thick stack. The 3-circle Mickey could be drilled through the stack rather than scrolled to save some effort.

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

jim stiek

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 04:17:37 pm »
for bookmarks I use model aircraft plywood kind of pricey at Michaels but get a lot from a sheet and you can stack a bunch as it is 1/64th inch I think

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 07:21:42 pm »
Pete, if you're going to make bookmarks, Sloans has 1/32 & 1/16 Finland grade birch plywood. You could stack a bunch.
Pete

http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/plywoods.htm
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 07:40:53 pm »
Ditto on 1/16" plywood for bookmarks. If you want different colors, just seal the plywood then stain. I just did about 50 bookmarks that way and they make a good contrast to plain plywood. I stack at least 10 at a time, with less detail I sometimes stack more.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 07:53:48 pm »
Went to Ocooch Hardwoods today (I only live an hr. away) and picked up some 1/32" walnut, they cut it while I waited, now I have to pick a design.  I'll post some pics when I get to them.  Thanks for the help.

Pete

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 04:03:00 pm »
Word of warning:  Disney is real nasty to people who use any of their images.  They will sue at the drop of a hat, so you may want to rethink what you cut.  Just so you know.

ChelCass
ChelCass

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 11:38:37 pm »
Word of warning:  Disney is real nasty to people who use any of their images.  They will sue at the drop of a hat, so you may want to rethink what you cut.  Just so you know.

ChelCass

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, I plan on giving these items to people on the cruise so I'm hoping but not totally confident that it wouldn't ruffle any feathers.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 10:22:21 am »
Have you considered just putting the date of the cruise on them? Like "DEC 2013" or "10-17-13" It might not be real fancy but, for the people who have them it would bring back some memories every time they used the book mark.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 10:40:20 am »
Have you considered just putting the date of the cruise on them? Like "DEC 2013" or "10-17-13" It might not be real fancy but, for the people who have them it would bring back some memories every time they used the book mark.

Rog

I like that, we'll see, thanks

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 02:45:10 pm »
I decided to just go with a basic Mickey, I'm giving them away so don't think the Disney police will be after me.  I have done 105, one more question, do you put a finish on the ones you have made?  What kind or do you just leave them bare?  I've made them from walnut if that matters.

Thanks again Pete

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 05:53:28 pm »
Well I decided on a simple Mickey silhouette. I stack cut 15 at a time of 1/32", took 7 stacks and did 105.  Don't think I'll post a pix due to the possible problems with Walt and friends.  I used blo/min.spirits, they look great.  Thanks for the suggestions and listening to me stress.

Pete

Offline RangerJay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 10:28:06 pm »
Wife and I are taking a cruise in about a month, it's a Disney cruise.  Problem is the group we are going with exchange little mementos like party favors and I'd like to do a simple key chain or something similar.  My problem is I need about 45 for kids and 45 for adults.  Even stack cutting that's a lot.  A Disney themed item would be nice but realize I can't ask for that, anyone have any ideas?

Pete

After making 90 mementos the cruise will be a well-deserved break!

Jay

SMF

Teknoromi