Author Topic: drilling small holes  (Read 4929 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
drilling small holes
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:34:00 am »
So what do you guys use to drill the really small holes for inside cuts? The small bits are too small for my drill press. I'm using my hand drill and doing pretty good most of the time, it's those other than "most" times that are infuriating  :-\
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

old wormy

Re: drilling small holes
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:39:34 am »
I use a small chuck designed to hold tiny bits that fits in my drill press. I got mine at Sloan's Woodshop.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:41:00 am »
I have a Proxxon rotary tool (like a Dremmel) with a drill press stand.
 http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-28606-MICROMOT-Drill-Stand/dp/B000209ZAE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1366202339&sr=8-4&keywords=proxxon.
I use 1/32" pilot holes for bowl cutting to reduce the sanding needed to remove the drill hole. I made a few wedges for the drill press table for drilling angle holes for bowl making.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 10:45:22 am »
Hey Pete...you can get one of those 'tiny bit chuck's' from Mike the next time you order blades!

How is the DW788 working for you now?

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:47:04 am »
I use a small chuck designed to hold tiny bits that fits in my drill press. I got mine at Sloan's Woodshop.
Ditto. In fact I have two loaded with two different size bits.
Dan In Southern California

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 11:17:05 am »
Hey Pete...you can get one of those 'tiny bit chuck's' from Mike the next time you order blades!

How is the DW788 working for you now?

~~~GB~~~
Darn and I just ordered some.  The new saw is working great but I still can't find the "redo" button to fix mistakes  ::)
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 11:19:04 am »
I use a jewelers drill.

If needed i trim the butt end of the bit to where ut just barely extends beyond the thickness of the wood.  Otherwise they will break very easily.

The biggest one i use is a #68 and that is not too often.

usually i use a #72 or 73.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 01:07:20 pm »
I use the chuck from FD Mike also

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 05:56:11 pm »
I started out with the mini chuck others have used but didn't like the run out. I ended up switching to the Dremel drill press.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-220-01-Rotary-Tool-Station/dp/B00068P48O
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

IBMer

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 09:40:16 pm »
I have 2 Dremel tools.   I keep one mounted in a Dremel drill press mount, and the other I keep free.      Once I drill all the holes possible (reachable) with the press, I switch to the hand held dremel tool to get to any that the press can't reach.    My dremel tools are both equipped with the quick change chucks, and they seem to hold the drill bits just fine. 

By the way, you can buy a 10 pack of 1/16" bits from Harbor Freight.  They are on sale for Sale: $1.79     Not a bad deal..     I find that I tend to break anything smaller than this when hand holding the dremel tool.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=1%2F16+drill+bits

Becky

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 09:47:18 pm »
For the really small holes, I use a Dremel with the plunge router attachment.  It specifically says not to use it for drilling holes but I haven't had any problems.  Just don't turn it up to full speed or you'll burn the wood. 

I have one of FD Mike's mini chucks around here someplace but I could never get it to work right.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 10:11:13 pm »
I have not had any luck with the mini chucks but I found a Lee Valley chuck that works just fine.  For a while, Lee valley had it in stock but it seems to be no longer available.  It holds down to #70 with no run out and no slipping.  I made a stub shaft for it and chuck it in the drill press.

Works like a charm.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

ChuckD

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 10:51:58 pm »
I have the one Milke sells.  In fact I have two, thought I lost one and as soon as the new one came I found the old one.

There is a trick I use for the wobble on any mini-drill chuck.  I have a foot switch on my floor drill press.  Push down, it starts, let up it stops.  I touch the bit to the wood where I want it, push down on foot and drill the hole.  Right where I want it.  Try it, you will like it.  :):):)

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 05:52:50 pm »
I use a hand held black and decker rotary tool (Dremel type tool) with a small bit and it works well for me.  I use it for starting holes in doing double bevel inlay and have the tool hanging from a hook I installed on the side of my saw base.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 06:32:13 am »
I purchased the Small Chuck from Mike years ago.  It did not work in my drill press
which is a table top model.  It wobbled just a TINY bit which would not let me drill\
the EXACT area I wanted.  I use the .068 mini drill bit in my drill press and make
sure the bit is up into the chuck as far as it can go and only have enough drill to
go thru the wood blank.  This works GREAT for me....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi