Author Topic: Backing for fret work  (Read 2177 times)

Loudog

Backing for fret work
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:40:29 pm »
Hello, I have my first fret work project started and would like to put different colors behind cutouts and also have one cutout that has pieces that need to be glued to the backer; do you paint ,use colored paper, or naturally colored wood pieces? Thanks! Louie

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Backing for fret work
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 07:11:56 am »
I only use wood backers.  The finish on the backer is based on the look I want.  I paint, stain or leave natural depending on the final look.  Some people use felt, paper cardstock.  I avoid these materials.  Paper and cardstock fades over time.  I don't know how felt holds up.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 09:31:28 am »
I use a dark grey felt for most of my fretwork. The color varies a bit so it gives a sense of depth to the projects.
I also use wood backers that are stained darker then the top layer. Wood is really helpful when you need extra stability to the project.

I have used cardstock, if you use scrapbooking cardstock it should not fade as much as other types. I use cardstock when I can really tell exactly where objects start and stop. Letters, shapes, silhouette, some logos. When doing more complicated fretwork pieces some of the exact lines get blurred, it is hard to tell where the leaf ends and the flower petal begins. I also don't like having a really busy pattern behind the fretwork, I think it distracts from the wood.

Graywolf

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 09:41:47 am »
I made my daughter a Giesha (sp) Girl, last year. I use colored postor board I got from Dollar Tree for the back. I used Red, Whiter, and blue. I set the project on the stock, then using a sharp pensil, I drew lines on the paper where I wanted each color (all of the cutouts). Then I cut the postor board out and glued them on the back of the project. Getting them to line up right took a little time, but it was worth it. I then used !/8 ply for the backer. She liked it. I use felt sometimes or stain the backer.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 09:51:47 am »
 I use different colors of felt, depending which stands out better. I also have painted the backer.  Edward

Loudog

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:23:22 pm »
Thank you for the replies! very much appreciated, Louie

SMF

Teknoromi