Author Topic: Got my replacement saw Monday  (Read 1843 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
Got my replacement saw Monday
« on: January 04, 2013, 09:45:37 am »
I told you about getting a DeWalt before Christmas and it had a front to back blade wobble.  I sent it back (no questions asked to Amazon) and the new one arrived Monday. I got it set up and voila "Wobble free!!!"  However I received an unwanted Christmas gift from a family member...a cold  :'( and when I get a cold it is pretty much life altering, me and doggie doo-doo have a lot in common for at least a week.  So...it won't be today but maybe tomorrow or Sunday I'll be making saw dust (w/mask) and am very excited to try it out.

Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: Got my replacement saw Monday
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:32:16 am »
glad your new saw is working ok, once you're feeling better nothing will keep you from making loads of sawdust.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 01:02:36 pm »
Great news Pete! Here are a few tips to set up your saw. The cast iron table is kind of rough. Sand it down with some 220 grit sand paper on a sanding block with some WD40 as a lubricant. Once it's smooth, wipe it down with some mineral spirits to remove the WD40. Then give it a coat of paste wax like Johnson's paste wax. Make sure you use a wax that does not contain silicone.
 You probably know not to install the hold down as it just gets in the way.
There is a guard mounted in front of the lower blade clamp. Remove it as it gets in the way when changing blades. Now that you have a saw with a lifting upper arm, try top feeding. It might take a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, you will love it!
Dan In Southern California

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 01:29:26 pm »
thanks dgman for the pointers I'll definitely will use them.  Pete

king310

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 08:32:23 pm »
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHCHOOOOOOOOO!!! :o :o :o :o
So why are you in here spreading your germs!
Now I have to wear a mask in the forum :P :P ;D
Get better! All that dust can wait. Make sure you take care of your health and lungs. You do not want to make a bad thing worse.
I would tell you how to cure that cold but this is a family website. All I will say is involves a bottle of schnapps and a bed.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 04:11:09 am »
good to read that you could change the saw without any problems!
hope you get 'a warm' pretty soon ;) so you can enjoy it.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:16:25 am »
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHCHOOOOOOOOO!!! :o :o :o :o
So why are you in here spreading your germs!
Now I have to wear a mask in the forum :P :P ;D
Get better! All that dust can wait. Make sure you take care of your health and lungs. You do not want to make a bad thing worse.
I would tell you how to cure that cold but this is a family website. All I will say is involves a bottle of schnapps and a bed.

Had a bartender once suggest "Rock n' Rye" if you feel like crap take it ...what do you have to lose, at worse you'll still feel like crap :-\  feeling much better tho, thanks all.  Pete

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 11:41:48 am »
Glad you feel some better!
Rock 'n' Rye was an ever present bottle in my grandparents' pantry! Only time I ever got a taste was when I severely sprained my ankle and my dad gave me about a 3 or 4 ounce glass...didn't get rid of the pain but I sure didn't give a darn...

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 12:40:58 pm »
Glad you feel some better!
Rock 'n' Rye was an ever present bottle in my grandparents' pantry! Only time I ever got a taste was when I severely sprained my ankle and my dad gave me about a 3 or 4 ounce glass...didn't get rid of the pain but I sure didn't give a darn...

~~~GB~~~
Oh for the good old days...

SMF

Teknoromi