Author Topic: DIY Scroll saw stand  (Read 9315 times)

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
DIY Scroll saw stand
« on: December 28, 2011, 03:54:35 pm »
I planning a replacement for the metal stand that came with my Delta 40-690 (the Dewalt 788 clone) so I did some searching.  I see stands ranging from GrayBeard's (that will support a small tank  ;) and also looks good), to tall skinny stands that look like they could fall over with a gentle nudge.  I know that vibration can be a problem so I set (not bolted down) my saw on a metal stool and ran it through it's speeds, cutting and not cutting.  There was a bit of vibration but not as much as I expected, bolting it to the stool might be enough.

Do I need a stand like GrayBeards for my 40-690, given that I don't see much vibration when it is sitting precariously on a stool or can I get good results with a lighter design?

Has anyone built a light-weight stand and had to beef it up?  What saw were you using?

Thanks for your comments.
Jim
An aside to GrayBeard, I notice you saw isn't bolted down http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=6416.0.  Do you run it that way or is it bolted down now?
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

tux_linux

Re: DIY Scroll saw stand
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 04:43:11 pm »
You can see my stand in that picture. Pretty simple - 4 legs, a top plate and one plate at the bottom (routed channels in the legs, you can also mount some bars to make the table stiff).
I would add a second board underneath the top one for adding weight(I use pave stones on the bottom plate, it's better to have the weight at the top end).

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 05:06:26 pm »
That will support a TALL tank!  but the lower to the floor the more you dampen the vibration!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 05:58:18 pm »
Good point, GB.  I was thinking about a 24" high stand so I can use an old secretary's chair.

Jim

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:15:51 pm »
Not trying to change your mind, but the metal stand is designed to help dampen vibration on the Dewalt and Delta saws. It is better to use the metal stand and adjust your seating around it. Just my two cents!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 08:11:42 pm »
I agree with dgman....with my Hegners not only did I need a metal stand but also bolted them to the concrete floor to get them to run the smoothest.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 08:23:22 pm »
dgman and Jim F,

You're correct in that the saw runs very smoothly on the steel stand but the height is a problem.  I'm trying to re-arrange the shop and need the saw closer to the floor to fit.  I was hoping a shorter wood stand would work well.

I may have to build a stand and see how it works.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:08:39 pm »
i cut my 788 stand down to work with my chair. i used a porta-band bandsaw & itcame out real good.
then i bolted the front legs back on so i would have the same contact points with the floor it orginally had. i have no complaints. termite

zgrimsley

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 10:19:48 pm »
I have a craftsman saw and just have it setting on a wood table. it works good for me about to bolt it down just for extra hold.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:21:31 pm »
Jim...the picture you are seeing is BEFORE I completed the conversion to the homebuilt stand.

My saw has 3/8" bolts through 1 1/2" of plywood on the front and a 3/8" lag screw through 1 1/2" of plywood and into the 2 x 4 frame in the back.

Virtually no vibration at all and it is on 1 1/2" casters to make it mobile.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 03:12:04 am »
I use an old wooden kitchen table. mounted the saw with 2 big screws.
works fine for me.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

tux_linux

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 06:34:59 am »
Just make the stand not to fragile and bolt the saw to it.
Weight helps, if the stand is to fragile it will support the vibration.

I have seen a vary of heavy stands, some even build from big beams.

SMF

Teknoromi