Author Topic: Enlarging patterns  (Read 2273 times)

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Enlarging patterns
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:52:10 pm »
I want to enlarge some of Steve's patterns (PDF file) by 300 or 400%.  I have also wanted to enlarge bitmap (jpg) images to cut larger pieces.

I found a clever way to enlarge PDFs http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_enlarge_a_pdf_for_printing.html but the patterns start to get a little fuzzy as they get larger.  PDfs are raster images so I would need a program to manipulate raster images. 

Using GIMP for JPGs (bitmap image) results in very fuzzy blowups and it is hard to follow the line.

How do you make significant enlargements of bitmap and PDF images?  Freeware is preferred, naturally.

Thanks,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Enlarging patterns
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 03:37:53 pm »
Try Inkscape....

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

jlatorre

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 07:02:19 pm »
Hello ,rapid resizer is good for larger pdf, and the program is to enlarge photo zoom images in various formats, I use both with good results
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:17:29 pm by jlatorre »

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:11:44 pm »
Steve good did a video on how to enlarge his patterns and its slick and its free. 
I don't know what the link is but you can find it on www.youtube.com or on his blog in the video part. have fun.  it well break up the pattern but then you'll have to tape the pattern together  enjoy.

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Mainewoods

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 07:37:14 am »
Jim, another option for you is PosteRazor, which can be found on this site;  http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

It is free, and very simple to use.  You can control the size by percentage (i.e. 300% larger) or by measurement (i.e. 14 inches tall x 11 inches wide), paper size, border size, and you can control the overlap of pages, making it easier to reassemble your larger printout.

Watch the video on the website and see for yourself how easy it is to use.

Plus, the price is right!

Glen 

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 12:20:27 pm »
Thanks for the comments, I'll keep all the suggestions in mind.  I installed Inkscape and so far it enlarges as I need.

When I work on a pattern, I do a bit on Gimp, open it in Inkscape, make some more changes, then it goes back to Gimp and so on.  Each has its strengths so I go back and forth.  Complicated and there are probably easier ways to do it but it works for me.

Thanks again,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

SMF

Teknoromi