Author Topic: Stack Cutting Question  (Read 2346 times)

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Stack Cutting Question
« on: June 20, 2012, 06:12:04 pm »
I'm starting a project stack cutting 3 layers totaling about 1/2" thick.  Each resulting 1/8" plus thick plaque will be glued to a 1/2 or 3/4" backer of dark wood.

The design will be cut away from the plaque.  I am having a problem with the letter "P" - I want to cut out the "hole" in the loop of the "P" and then glue it in the correct position on the dark backer. 

I've done this before but only on a single layer cut.  When I started cutting the "hole", I realized that with 3 layers being cut, it would be very difficult to keep the layers together.  There would likely be pieces flying everywhere.

I don't want to have "connections" to hold the "hole" in place, I want it to be a real island.

I hope I have clearly explained the problem.  I suppose one option would be to separate the layers but I would prefer to cut them all in one cut.

Has anyone has any idea(s) so that I can make the cuts?

Thanks for your help.
Jim

Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Stack Cutting Question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:15:57 pm »
Hey Jim, I stack cut all the time, but I always use connectors to keep the inside of a letter intact. If you don't want to do that, Then I would draw up a separate pattern for the inside piece and cut them separately, then you can glue it in latter. Let us know how it turns out.
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 10:41:42 pm »
Are there many P's in the plaque? If just a few you could cut individual pieces. A zero clearance insert or table can also keep little pieces from flying around, whether stack cutting or individual pieces.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 09:19:29 am »
Thanks to both of you for the help.  dgman's idea was so simple, that must be why I didn't think of it.  It will be my solution.

mrsn, the zero clearance insert is a good idea but I find the top piece wants to jump upwards - my 40-690 has some forwards/backwards movement of the blade that I can't seem to get rid of.

Thanks again to both of you and have a good day.
Jim

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 09:43:47 am »
I would simply cut the center of the "P" first and set it aside and then cut the outer shape second. Or am I missing something about your problem?
How are you holding the stack together? I use double sided carpet tape most of the time. (The cheap stuff that is easier to come apart.)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:17:34 pm »
Rog, that's the smart way to do it but I cut the "P" first and then thought about how to cut the inner part.

Next time,
Jim

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 11:41:30 pm »
Remember to cut the smallest holes first.  Then you have more stability with the larger cuts. 

SMF

Teknoromi