Author Topic: Rounding corners  (Read 2324 times)

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Rounding corners
« on: May 02, 2012, 10:58:14 pm »
I have cut some of Steve's patterns - The Dog Lady is one, and my problem is making the rounded corners of the base.  It's hard to get all 4 corners symmetric.

Somewhere I read of a way to make the 4 corners the same, perhaps using a pattern.  I do remember I thought it was a slick trick but can't remember where I saw it or how it was done.  (Senior's moment?)

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or links, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Re: Rounding corners
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:26:02 pm »
Jim, just letting you know what I do about my round corner bases. I am not saying it is the best way, but, it is an easier method for me. I cut most of my bases with square ends and then use my router to round the corners.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:39:12 am »
The way I round my corners on bases is first draw the corner with some kind of a template such as a spray can top or roll of tape. But my favorite templates are the caps from my forstner bit set. Then depending on how I feel, I will either cut them on the scroll saw or sand them with my disk sander or 1" belt sander.
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 06:17:05 am »
use the scroll saw and cut the corners quite slow. It's better to cut slow on round corners.

After the cutting you'll need a sanding board: pull the base above the board to shape the round corner more exact. I'm using a 180 grid for the shape, a 240 for the smoothness and later a 400 for the finish (all sand papers glued to some boards).

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 06:17:52 am »
i do the same as Dan.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:12:21 pm »
Tony, I was thinking of a template but attaching it might be a problem.  The bases as not very large and I wonder if two sided tape would safely hold the template in place.  How do you attach the template to the workpiece?

I've tried cutting the corners with the scroll saw and then finishing the curve on a sanding disk in my table saw but don't seem to be able to exactly follow the curve.

I was hoping for a simple, quick way to do it.  Perhaps I can come up with a way to place the base on top of a template and use a router bit with a lower guide bearing.  Again, holding the workpiece is my concern.

Thanks for your comments.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:31:34 pm »
If you have a router table it is a simple operation.  Use a pattern bit (one with a bearing in the end closest to the router and the same diameter as the cutter).  Make our template out of 3/8 plywood or mdf and use doublesided tape to fasten it to the project.  I do it all the time.  Watch your fingers!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:43:37 pm »
For making rounded corners or oval type shapes I cut close with the scroll saw and if I want better accuracy I sand to the finished line. I usually use some type of cap or coin to draw a light line in pencil on the wood, then use my bench-top belt sander to sand to the line.

Now don't tell my students, or I will never get them to measure accurately but, depending on the type of wood and the project, the corners don't always have to be exact. If you can handle less then perfect, most of the people who see the piece won't notice a little variation.

tux_linux

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 05:56:05 am »
To add in to Bill's post:

Some of us use the Dremel Router Table, which is a small table with special router bits.
That thing works really well, I use it quite often.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 08:03:37 am »
I typically cut close to the line and follow that up with a sander.  There are times when the router gets fired up and put to work as well.

Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

SMF

Teknoromi