Author Topic: How to save $ on new tools  (Read 1796 times)

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
How to save $ on new tools
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:57:45 am »
Since I do all types of woodworking, I also subscribe to Lumberjocks.com.  I had heard there about a way of saving $ that I used yesterday to my advantage.   It was time to replace my old, noisy air compressor with a new one.  I shopped online at both Lowes and Home Depot to find comperable units and settled on a 60 gallon, 230 volt unit.  When I went to the stores I took along a coupon printed from Harbor Freight offering 20% off any single item.  I asked at each store and Home Depot agreed to match the offer.  That saved me abouut $90 off the  cost of a $458 tool, just for asking.  Individual stores may or may not comply, so ask for a manager and show the coupon which is readily available online..
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

countryscroller

Re: How to save $ on new tools
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 11:43:50 am »
Good idea. I have saved a lot of money at Harbor Freight with their coupons and deals.

Dave W

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:06:58 pm »
Nice!  I also save a few dollars at HD using military discount.  I always forgot to use it in the past but 10% really adds up with those bigger purchases, so vets, don't forget to ask. Normally, just tell the person at the register and good to go.  I will have to try the HF coupon thing as well.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 05:38:37 pm »
I do the veterans discount at Lowes.  Home depot does not always allow it around here.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

ShadowB6

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:17:51 am »
I'm not a Veteran so I guess I'll have to go the coupon route.

Mike

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 07:43:01 am »
Got to go along with Mr. Finn.  Home Depot does very little with vets here - no discounts at all, whereas Lowe's goes with 10% all the time and is very friendly.

Places ARE different.

Might have to try the coupon thing.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

king310

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 08:25:48 pm »
I did the same thing with my DeWalt plate joiner. $199.00 tool at Lowes local hardware store was selling it for $189. They called the local hardware store and they told them they were selling it for $169. The price plus the 10% store policy I picked it up for $152. That was a good buy.

Good buy billie

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 09:49:47 pm »
I have always liked Lowes, didn't know they would match prices with Harbor Freight though. Never have been much of a fan to Home Depot.

IBMer

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 11:39:17 pm »
Free Tools?   Some Scumbag broke into my shop last year and stole all my tools.     Here's hoping that they cut a few fingers off using my machines.    I'm sure they were sold or traded for drugs...   

IBMer

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 11:44:07 pm »
Lowes, didn't know they would match prices with Harbor Freight though.

Is that correct??   I know most stores price match, but I thought it was only for Identical Product / Models.     Since Harbor Freight sells very specific brands, that only they seem to carry, I'd be surprised if anyone would price match them..  I'd be curious..

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 08:34:31 am »
They don't price match because the products won't be the same, however as in the original post, Home Depot agreed to match the coupon because it gave 20% off "any single item".
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi