Author Topic: Where to by wood online?  (Read 2502 times)

Slothster88

Where to by wood online?
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:26:59 am »
I am new to scrolling. My saw came in this weekend. I was wondering where I could find a good place online to order wood. I dont have a truck to go pick up long boards from the local hard ware shop and they dont sell short boards just 6-20ft.

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
Re: Where to by wood online?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 01:22:26 pm »
Ocooch hardwoods is a good place.  They have different types and sizes
Jim

Tropdoug

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:15:49 pm »
There is a guy goes by the Ebay name "thinwoodboards". Steve did  review on some boards he bought through him. I also bought a heap of stuff, but unfortunately can't say I was so pleased. The goods are great, the service was less great. I will detail what occurred so that you can decide. I think as long as you are crystal clear in your communications with him, he could be what your looking for.

I am in Australia, and wanted a large order >$450.00. I entered into emails with Phil, (the owner) and he priced an order I wanted, and stated if I ordered over $400.00 worth He would ship for free. (He knew I was in Aus as one of the emails mentioned how he had just got back from Perth, Western Australia) When he confirmed the order there was a $40.00 shipping fee. I wrote back and reminded him of his offer of free shipping and he stated that he didn't realise I lived in Aus at the time he made that offer. I didn't believe him but never the less gave in and paid the total bill via PayPal.

I paid for the order and then went through a few weeks of frustration of back and forth emails as he seems unable to manage communications and couldn?t' get details right. Eventually I received an Invoice requesting another $250.00 for shipping!!! I disputed this through PayPal and he relented and removed the Invoice stating he got mixed up. Then he told me that he couldn't get the Poplar I ordered and he would refund me the cost of that. I stupidly cleared the dispute as settled with PayPal. I received the order some weeks later -- I never received the Refund. I have written to him numerous times but to no avail.

Tips --- The boards he supplied are good.
Only communicate via Ebay and PayPal, do not communicate to new email addresses he sends you as this takes you out of the Ebay and PayPal protection. I was unable to use Ebay to assist as I started communicating via a new address he sent me.

Be crystal clear on your order, delivery time, and cost, ensuring that it is absolutely agreed prior to paying and do not allow any changes.

Be prepared to wait a while for your wood.

If ordering different species insist he marks them. I asked but he didn't and I cannot say 100% for certain if I got the all correct species.

I wont deal with him again -- but Steve's transaction -- one species and ten boards only was not a drama. So it is possible that he just could not handle a bigger overseas order. I don't like to talk ill, not knowing what circumstances were on the other end.

So please take this story as intended. Not trying to kill his trade, just warning you that this is what happened to me.

old wormy

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 07:34:39 pm »
I get all my thin hardwood from kencraftcompany.com.  Excellant quality,service and especially price. You should compare their prices before ordering the next time.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 12:46:08 pm »
The downside to kencraft is thin lumber takes up to 2 weeks to ship.

Thinboards has quality wood but trying to communicate with the owner and get what you want is a nightmare.  I had a similar experience (although I'm in US thankfully) and won't use him again.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:47:59 pm by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Slothster88

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 03:04:22 pm »
I get all my thin hardwood from kencraftcompany.com.  Excellant quality,service and especially price. You should compare their prices before ordering the next time.

How much do the shipping cost from there run?

SMF

Teknoromi