Author Topic: DW788 What to do  (Read 5739 times)

sullycroller

Re: DW788 What to do
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 03:22:16 pm »
Many might disagree with me but it's not nearly as important what saw you have but the quality of the blades. I have a dw788, a Riobi, and a Skil ,all have different features that are nice but lets face it folks the blade goes up and down right ???? If you don't use quality blades you will not enjoy scrollin. I use FDUR's on all my saws and the cuts turn out the same. My saws run from $100. to $600. My opinion go with the Porter or Craftsman or what you can afford and check online for parts for the Ridgid, i've found parts for my Skil online and it's a cheap saw.

sully

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 03:27:07 pm »
My suggestion is the Delta 40-695.  Saw stand lamp for about $450.00
Jim
Jim

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 03:19:19 pm »
Had the same problem, sent it back and the one they exchanged has the exact same problem, I find I cut a lot less now   >:(

Pete

Type 3  I thought that they came out with a type 4 dewalt scroll saw.  So what are the problems you heard that is wrong with the type 3 dewalt scroll saw.  I wish I would of got a type 1 dewalt scroll saw.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

lennywin

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 10:09:48 am »
I was using Olson blades on my Ridgid and got good cuts and was able to make spin turns without a problem.  I couldn't wait till my next project.  When I got the DW788 all that changed.  I got FD's from Mike when I got the DW788, so it's not the blades.  I made sure the blades where seated properly which made no difference.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 11:06:53 pm »
Had the same problem, sent it back and the one they exchanged has the exact same problem, I find I cut a lot less now   >:(

Pete

Type 3  I thought that they came out with a type 4 dewalt scroll saw.  So what are the problems you heard that is wrong with the type 3 dewalt scroll saw.  I wish I would of got a type 1 dewalt scroll saw.

Don't know type, I got it new for Christmas '12, it wobbles so much from front to back it jumps out of tight cuts, very frustrating. Got it to replace my old Dremel which has a bit of the same problem.  Now when I cut I'm very careful, slow and as said earlier...frustrated.
Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 10:05:23 pm »
I bought a Type 1 DW788 at a estate sale.  It has a terrible knocking.  I'm looking for a good scroll saw mechanic.  I'd love to get this saw in shape. 
MOONIE

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:37 am »
I would keep my eye open for a used Hegner or Jet.  I have those saws and all have zero front to back movement when cutting.  The only time I need to put downward pressure on the wood is while cutting tight corners.  Most of the time I can cut using only one hand.  I think it is the front to back movement that caused the wood to rise off of the table.  I had that as an ongoing problem with a DeWalt I once owned.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 09:17:15 am »
I have a Porter-Cable in storage. Sells for $180 with stand and light from Lowes. It was a good saw but does not have a moving upper arm and the blade release is at the rear. I replaced it with an EX-21. The EX is a superior machine if you have the money.

Olsen and others make replacement blade clamps for about $30. Maybe they would fit your old Ridgid saw?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

lennywin

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 10:55:43 am »
Thanks EIEIO....Sometimes I'm not the brightest bulb in the box...I can't find replacement clamps on the Olsen page.....can you send me the link please.

My replacement DW788 will be here in the next couple of days.  I'll report on weather it's a keeper as soon as I decide.

Offline Nbmartin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 02:42:27 pm »
I'd also check the newer delta.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 03:05:25 pm »
Lenny-im away from home  but if you go to amazon and look for Olsen blade clamps they are listed there.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

lennywin

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 03:46:51 pm »
Nice try but NG....Thanks.  My new DW788 should be here tomorrow.  I'm really excited and crossing my fingers and toes and eyes that it's OK.  I have several projects ready to work on and my depression meds aren't helping only a Good New Saw will.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 04:00:32 pm »
My wife gets really depressed when I'm not scrolling too... go figure.

Becky

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 10:01:39 pm »
Shoot, waiting for the work day to end tomorrow is going to be a killer for you!  I hope the new saw works perfectly and you get that warm, fuzzy feeling when you use it!  My fingers are still crossed for you.

SMF

Teknoromi