Author Topic: blades?blades? or no matter blades??  (Read 3348 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
blades?blades? or no matter blades??
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:21:39 pm »
i think I am  being overly concerned but wouldn't it be helpful if blade sizes were mentioned more often, i tried using the spirals, not always so good, why would anyone use anything BUT reverse tooth because of rip-out? i sometimes feel like i'm on training wheels here :-)
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: blades?blades? or no matter blades??
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:33:22 pm »
Hey yyyyyguy, As a scroll saw instructor I start my students off with skip tooth blades because they cut smooth without bouncing the wood off of the table. I don't start them on reverse tooth blades until the intermediate class.
I recommend you try different brands and types and sizes until you find what works for you. For me I use Olson reverse tooth blades.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:38:34 pm »
I use reverse tooth blades except of very thin woods where I don't want to take the chance of chipping or bouncing the wood.

Al
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Rightarm

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 12:14:37 am »
     I was the same way. How in the world do you try to figure out what blade to use. I started with the skip tooth, then the spiral, [that didn't work so well]. But I always go back to the Olson Mach Speed No. 5R 13 TPI 7 Rev. It seems to give me a smooth edge, and does what I want it to do. Today I needed something that would cut  smaller. So I tried the Olson Mach Speed No. 3R 13TPI 7 Rev. and it worked well. I'm no way trying to sell these blades. Thats seems to work for me, and I can get them locale. As soon as I get some cash saved up, I'll be getting ahole of FDMike. As I understand it, He's the man to talk to about blades. Dave 8)   

cherie

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 07:47:07 pm »
I am about to make some major waves here.  I have always used Olsen blades, basically #2 reverse for everything I do.  I have recently bought some FD-UV blades.  I did a comparison between the two and took pictures.  I found a huge difference in the way they cut and the smoothness.  Both pictures areaken with brand new blades. Since everything I cut is 1/8 to 1/4 inch, this is what I am going to use now.  I have bought a gross of FD-UV#3's.  So far I love what I see.  Let me know your thoughts.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 09:04:41 pm »
Since the UR have come out That is about all I'll ever use unless they upgrade them somehow...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:24:25 am by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Marshall

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 10:08:50 pm »
I've been scrolling for over thirteen years and I finally landed using the flying Dutchman blades about four years ago . I've tryed about every blade out their and I want waste any more of my time looking for anything better for I have found it . My two cents worth > Mike's Flying Dutchman Blades are the one's for me ............Marshall

mouse

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 03:05:00 am »
I use FD blades exclusively. I mainly use the FD-UV, the special puzzle and the FD-IM for metal.I havent found any other make that comes close to them.
For anyone interested in the UK. It takes about 5 working days for them to get here and Mike charges shipping at cost, normally a couple of $

Mick

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 07:06:45 am »
Now guys do you mean FD-UR cause I can't/don't know the FD-UV blades you write about.

Merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

dankc908

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 07:33:14 am »
Now guys do you mean FD-UR cause I can't/don't know the FD-UV blades you write about.

Merlin

I think those are Ultra-Violet blades used in laser scroll saws????    ;D ::) ;D ::)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 07:33:22 am »
I think you are right Merlin. That FD-UV is a new one on me.  They must be talking about the FD-UR (Flying Dutchman - New Ultra Reverse).
:o
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

mouse

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 07:42:20 am »
Sorry guys,it is FD-UR not even close on the keyboard ::)
Mick

ripchief

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 09:11:24 am »
I think we might be getting a little off track here...Although the original post had multiple questions/comments, they were focused primarily on talking about blade sizes, with a comment about reverse teeth vs. no reverse teeth...Just like almost every other blade post out there, we've twisted it into which BRAND of blade is preferred over another...Instead, I think the poster was looking for more specific information...Telling someone that you like to use a particular brand is only part of the answer to all blade questions; but isn't enough information to be all that useful.

Reverse teeth - I primarily use reverse teeth for everything...There is a difference between "normal" reverse teeth, and the Flying Dutchman Ultra-reverse teeth...The normal reverse teeth, having only reverse teeth near the bottom of the blade, primarily only affect cutting on the underside of the workpiece...Whereas, the ultra-reverse have reverse teeth integrated throughout the entire length of the blade...Like traditional blades, the ultra-reverse primarily cut on the down stroke, but they also make complete cuts on the upstroke; making them more aggressive than "normal" reverse blades...As such, ultra-reverse blades require even less feed pressure than "normal" reverse blades...I like, and use both of these blades...I have found that I can use a smaller ultra-reverse blade in situations where a larger "normal" reverse blade is called for.

Blade sizes (numbers) - Just as many will say, there are no hard and fast rules; only guidelines...But I find that I deviate from those guidelines often...For example, sources might suggest using a #5 or #7 blade for 3/4" material, but there are situations where a particular cut won't allow the use of such a large blade, so a #3 or #1 might need to be used instead...Some will use the same size blade for EVERYTHING that they do; nothing wrong with that...The most important thing to remember is to make adjustments to technique and setup when changing blade size/style...I think a lot of people find "their" size and stick with it, because it provides one constant variable in the equation...I haven't settled on just one size blade...I tend to look at the pattern of a new cutting project, and then make my blade selection based on what I THINK that I can best use to make the final project "look" right to me...The thing that everyone WON'T tell you, is that it's really all a 'best guess" based on a lot of factors, but experience most of all...Don't confuse experience with the difference between a new cutter and a veteran cutter...I'm talking about yourself knowing how a particular blade acts for you in a given situation; that's experience.

As a flyfisherman, I'm often faced with similar questions while looking at fly selection...Selecting the type of fly is similar to selecting the type of blade (rev tooth, skip, spiral, etc...)...Selecting the fly size is similar to selecting the blade size...There are situations where BOTH a #16, and a #18 fly will do the same job, just like there are plenty of situations where a #3 and a #5 of the same blade will provide the same results...There are also times that different sizes just won't give the same results; and that's the whole trick.

Dan

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 10:21:53 am »
Cherie's post says a-lot about the Flying Dutchman blades. I had the same exp. when I first purchased Mikes blades. I have only been cutting about 6 months and am glad I found the FD-UR blades early on. I have tried his New Spiral blades and was impressed as to how easy they were to control. I had used some (not sure of the brand) before, and was not able to control them at all.

Dan

cherie

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 10:52:38 am »
I guess I can't remember anything these days.  Yes it is the FD-UR!  And I love them.  Thinking about purchasing the new spirals that are to be easier to control.

SMF

Teknoromi